Bexley Grammar VS Chis & Sid V Beths V Dartford Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
when the process will end

Bexley Grammar VS Chis & Sid V Beths V Dartford Grammar

Post by when the process will end »

:? We may end up making a choice between the above schools if the kent result is also favourable.

If the Kent result is really favourable is it worth travelling to Judd.

Any pointers will be really helpful..
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

Where do you live? How will DS travel to school? What are his interests?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

My thoughts exactly! Much depends on where you live and what your son is like. Don't underestimate the importance of a good journey - early starts with no direct form of transport are awful, especially on dark, wet mornings with a ton of books to carry (or a sports bag/musical instrument etc).

Also, be careful when making comparisons between selectives and super-selectives. It's easier for the latter to look good and get good results as they only take the high scorers.

Thanks for your responses.

I appreciate that we should not make comparisons between selective and superselective schools. But if the 11+ results suggest that he is capable of a super selective place we have a very difficult choice to make.

We live near Lee. The DS can easily take the train to Chis & Sid, Beths and Dartford. Bexley Grammar will be a little more difficult.

Judd is approachable via Hither Green by train (Approx. 1 hour journey).

We have to make some difficult decisions by Friday and I do not know whether the school rounds today onwards will provide answers.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

A lot of thinking to do in a few days! Fortunately I'm going through this for the third time so I have a fairly good idea of what various grammars are like. I did think this would make for an easy week but ds is also a top scorer and has announced he wants to visit all the grammars he could go to!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - we were in this position last year, and chose Beths, mainly because of the easier journey. On a Thursday DS has to carry a heavy bag, trumpet, boot bag and games kit - I take pity and drive to collect him that day! The walk up the hill to the school at Dartford is a long way - have you tried walking it? We visited the schools using the transport he would be using, which helped with the decision making. We liked Bexley Grammar but although it is nearer to us it required 2 buses. Also bear in mind that the boys are expected to be at Dartford at 8.30am on Saturday mornings to play rugby - all of the year 7s, not just the team - we didn't find that out until recently - they certainly didn't tell us that when we looked around.

It's not an easy decision - good luck!

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:A lot of thinking to do in a few days! Fortunately I'm going through this for the third time so I have a fairly good idea of what various grammars are like. I did think this would make for an easy week but ds is also a top scorer and has announced he wants to visit all the grammars he could go to!
Bexley Mum 2

Best of luck with the visits. Maybe you and your DS can come to a quick agreement re the school.

It is the first time for us and therefore we do not have any idea about various grammars. Your feedback about them will really be helpful.
Peter31

Post by Peter31 »

Reading this post with interest after our unexpected good news on Friday.

We are in Lewisham and ease of lourney is definitely a consideration. On paper I would pick Bexley Grammar, but I'm not sure how practical the journey would be? There's a train from Lewisham to Welling, but then is it a bus journey to the school or can it be walked? I guess we'll be at he open day on Wednesday, but the form needs to be in this week.

We're also weighing up whether to try for Newstead Wood, which is even further but may suit our daughter.

It's difficult to know what's for the best with so little time remaining

Peter31

You can do the dry run on Wednesday when you visit BGS for the open evening. If I am not wrong, it is quite possible to walk from the station to BGS.

I may add that a lot of girls go to Newstead Woods from Lewisham. I have noticed a lot of girls on the train from Lewisham to Orpington.

I also understand that there is a shared coach from Blackheath and surrounding areas to Newstead Woods and St Olave's.

You must be aware that the date to fill the supplementary form for Newstead Woods may be very near.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

You both have my sympathies - though it's a nice problem to have!

My eldest two leave the house at 7.45 to catch the bus and are generally walking through the school gates by 8.20. When they are particularly laden down with sports kit/musical instruments or it's pouring down, I drive them. All I can say is I wouldn't like to try and get them out of bed any earlier!

But, having said that, I do know plenty children who do much longer journeys and seem to survive.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now