Test Centre checks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
reddebs

Test Centre checks

Post by reddebs »

Hi all
If your child sat the Medway test on Saturday I would be grateful if you could reply with details on how your child's check in was handled.
Was any check made to ensure that the child sitting the test was the one named on the booking sheet?
This may seem a strange question but I have heard a number of concerns regarding the visual age of some of the children that took the test and unlike the Kent test which is school based I am wondering how likely it is that a different child to that named can turn up and sit the test.
red_debs
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

There was no ID check, if that's what you mean, nobody asked a date of birth and they didn't have photos, just give your name and you're away. On the other hand kids take the test in school groups so it would be hard to send an imposter - only out of county people could do it.

There was no ID check for the Kent test either - my DS took it OOC at Wilmington Boys and some of the kids did look much older, on the other hand he's not very tall, but nor is he short, and his birthday is in July.
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

We just gave name, handed in the sheet and that was that. No formal ID check carried out. Hadn't thought that people may try and use older child to pass test for younger child!!!
paulap

Post by paulap »

We handed in our registration forms and told them the names and the kids were handed a sticker to put on - apparently there was a sticker on their desk too.

At one point, my two (twins) were given each other's answer sheet by mistake but luckily they noticed and the examiner swapped them over.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

Must be an occupational hazard for twins! :lol:
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

"May contain Nuts" comes to mind but I seriously wouldnt think that could happen could it?
paulap

Post by paulap »

testbuster wrote:Must be an occupational hazard for twins! :lol:
True, but the funny thing was they are boy-girl twins, not even same-sex. :roll:
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

True, but the funny thing was they are boy-girl twins, not even same-gender.
Eek! Do they have unisex names or was the invigilator just dim!
paulap

Post by paulap »

testbuster wrote:
True, but the funny thing was they are boy-girl twins, not even same-gender.
Eek! Do they have unisex names or was the invigilator just dim!
Just dim!!
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

The test centres appear to have no real checks in place to ensure that the child attending the test is the child named. Those children attending from Medway schools are covered to a certain extent as the centres take the school applicants in a group and assuming that there is more than 1 child attending from a particular school then this gap is closed as I am sure a 'rogue' student would be spotted by one of his/her classmates!

However this gap really is exposed when dealing with Out of County (OOC) applicants. I am lead to believe that the number of OOC's sitting the Medway test have increased greatly this year. (Are the numbers available?) reasons for this vary but are mainly linked with the economy and parents not being able to pay for private education in boroughs that have no grammar schools.
Although I would love to think that 'switching' children so that a more able/mature child actually sits the test would never happen I am also realistic and to ensure fairness Medway must close this gap.
red_debs