Mitigating circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fretting father

Mitigating circumstances

Post by fretting father »

Our son's appeal is at the end of the month and I am getting increasingly anxious that by only putting one proper (illness) mitigating circumstance that related to the 2nd paper (for the 1st he underperformed due to nerves) on our original appeal we may have blown his chances already!

Please can anyone help??

Thank you in advance .... AL
Darren

Post by Darren »

What did your son score on both papers ? A big factor in measuring this.

Were they close or miles apart?
fretting father

Mitigating circumstances

He scored 116 on the 1st paper (nerves) and 117 on the 2nd (not well)., and so I now feel that I am 'missing' a mitigating circumstance what the appeal panel would regard as a true mitigating circumstance for the 1st paper.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi,

They do seem very close together.

On the second (Not well) paper, was this reported to anyone Head Teacher, Doctor, on the day or prior to the test ?

what was the illness ?

Apologies for all these probing questions but they do have a big sway in success, otherwise everyone would be putting illness as a appeal.

Nerves are common in an appeal letter and you can certainly get backup from your head, year teachers on this.

I am aware that a child was succesful due to nerves as this was mentioned in previous school reports which were presented, and Head fully Backing this up.

Darren,
fretting father

Mitigating Circumstances

Hi Darren

Ny boy's illness - felt unwell throughout the night before, unable to sleep and still said he was feeling unwell on the morning of the test - was reported in writing at the time and also referenced in the headteacher's appeal report.

I think the 2nd test mitigasting circumstance should count for something but the 1st exam nerves mitigation is a real concern. This was the first really important exam he had taken and there was, therefore, no history of how he would be affected by it.

Given the very similar scores in the two tests, do you think this would be viewed by the Appeal Panel as diminishing the 'strength' of the illness mitigation or supporting the nerves imoact on his 1st score?

I feel that I'll need to somehow 'bulk up' the mitigating circumstances but have to admit i'm floundering a bit at the monent....

Cheers, AL
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

It depends on the other evidence too - what was the Head's recommendation? Where did the Head put him in the order of suitability? What are the KS2 NC test predictions?

Academic is as important as mitigating circumstances.
fretting father

Mitigating Circumstances

Hi

Head's recommendation was:
Academic Potential 2
Attitude 2
15/17 on Order of Suitability
and predicted straight 4/5 on SATS for Maths, English and Science

I know this question might be a bit basic, but what do these scores mean? Is 15/17 on Order of Suitability good? Is the best mark for Academic Potential and Attitude 1, and if so how damaging is it that he was given a 2 for both?

Any answers would be extremely welcome!! :D

Many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The headteacher assesses all the children who are put in for the 11+ with regard to academic potential (expected VRTS) and attitude to work. The grades are:
academic potential
1= exceptionally highly recommended (predicted score 131-141)
2= highly recommended (121-130)
3= recommended with reservations (111-120)
4= not recommended for grammar school (101-110)
5= definitely not recommended (69-100)
attitude to work
1= self starter, independent worker, consistent, highly motivated
2= independent, hard working, reliable
3= output varies
4= lacks self organisation
5= works with support

When you get the papers you will see how accurate the order of suitability was! How many children achieved 121+? Does it match with what the Head predicted? How has the Head worded their support - e.g. 'strongly support' or 'support'.

Level 5 predictions would be better - have you got other evidence to back up your child's academic ability?
fretting father

Mitigating circumstances

We've got some good school exam results and end-of-term reports that we could bring as supporting academic evidence. Another idea could be work books for Science, Maths and English, but not sure if these would carry much/any weight :?:

Thankfully the head was quite positive 'highly recommended' in their supporting words, but then wouldn't most heads say something similar about their pupils that have gone forward realistically for the 11+?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can submit other paperwork e.g. reports - especially if the comments are on academic rather than 'works hard'. If you take this with you make 6 copies

Books are good - add 'post it's' to point out particularly good bits.

Read all the threads re questions you might be asked. Someone is bound to ask why you let your child do the test if they weren't well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now