Exam on Saturday

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Saltash Mum 30

Exam on Saturday

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

How did everyone get on with the exams on Saturday?

We were at PHS, there were 160 girls taking the test. They split them into smaller groups and the girls took the tests in classrooms. My daughter was in a room with several of her friends. They seemed to do all they could to keep the girls as relaxed and calm as possible.

The VR was first, my daughter says she managed to finish the last question just before time was called and there was a choice of questions for the English test (thankfully, English is her weakest area).

Did anyone sit the tests at DHS?
Lowen

Exam on Sturday

Post by Lowen »

My son took the exam at DHSB - bit different to PHS. They were all in a huge hall together, not at all cosy, but it was what he was expecting as he did the mock exam in September :). The boys had a 'familiarisation' hour then an English test. He doesn't say much but seems happy enough with what he did. I don't know about DHSG but my daughter took the exam at PHSG two years ago and they split them into small groups then and were very good with keeping it as low key and relaxed as possible. I'm glad your daughter was ok.

Post by Guest »

Hi.
My daughter took the test at DHS Girls. They were split up into small groups in classrooms. It was very well organised and fairly low key - for the children anyway! I was very anxious! The girls were given a drink and a biccy, pencils and erasers were provided. They had a familiarisation which my daughter managed to finish although she guessed a few of the answers then it was the english essay. She didn't seem particularlt fazed which may or may not be a good thing!l There were about 170 names on the list. Only the maths to do now and then the wait to see whether or not they were successful. Out of our hands, we've all done the best we can, especially the children. :wink:

Post by Guest »

Sorry, message a bit mixed up there. meant to say they did a familiarisation, then the Verbal Reasonsing and then the essay, which she just finished in the allocated time. :wink:
Stresshead mom

exam

Post by Stresshead mom »

Hi there,

My daughter did her exam at DHSG on Saturday. She said how nice the stewards were. She managed to finish the paper. Just got the maths to get through now!!! Then the dreaded wait!! :roll:
not muddled

Post by not muddled »

Hi my daughter also sat her test at DHSG and said it was very relaxed and friendly. All of the girls I know of feel very confident, I'm not sure if this is a good sign or not!!!!

Still only this weekend to go.
marco

VR on Saturday

Post by marco »

My daughter came out feeling quietly confident, finished with 30 seconds to go which was a surprise as she finished all the papers she had done before with 10-15 minutes to spare, could just be the unusual setting.
on the ball

Post by on the ball »

Hi There

It sounds to me that either thr VR was exceptionally easy,or all of the parents who have posted are lucky enough to have very bright children.

Post by Guest »

Yes it's hard to know what to think, my daughter said it was 'okay' and she finished it but that doesn't necessarily mean she did well, or she's exceptionally bright but she is lovely! :) I haven't delved too much as it's like treading on eggsehells in our house! Most other parents I know said their girls found it ok as well but that doesn't necessarily mean it was easy, maybe they were all well prepared? Or maybe other parents wouldn't let on if their child struggled. I'm not being unkind but lots of people keep things close to their chest! How did the boys find it? Considering there must be at least 600 children taking the 11+ in Plymouth this isn't the busiest of posts! I for one am grateful for the likes of Saltash Mum sharing her thoughts and experiences. Thank you
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Hello Guest

I know a couple of mums whose boys took DHSB test. Hope I've remembered correctly in saying they had to write an English essay. They were all in a hall together, pretty much like the mock last September if anyone took that.

One mum said her son had managed ok, the other one wasn't so sure since he finds English harder. My understanding though is that the English essays for the boys will only be referred to in the event of an appeal (same for the girls)

Next Saturday the boys have their VR and maths tests while the girls do their maths one.

In some ways I am so relieved for my daughter that one of the tests is out of the way at the same time worrying that there is nothing else that she can do or we can do to help prepare her.

Are you doing the maths at PHS or DHS?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now