Birth Months

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
;kysiesmum

Birth Months

Post by ;kysiesmum »

After reading an earlier thread which mentioned that children had more chance of passing the 11+ if born between September and Febuary, I wondered if that held true with this years results.
My ds was born in May, took two tests and failed the Kent but passed the other.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

My DS is July born and passed.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

My DS passed. Born 30th May.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
hamster

Post by hamster »

Thought it was the other way round as you get extra marks added if you are young in your year. All 4 we have heard about who passed from DD's class were May.
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

dd was born in December, failed by 1 point and head teacher said she would have passed if 1 month younger.
I too head the opposite, dd could get same amount correct as August born, AUgust born would score higher.
Either way, we are very very proud of her and will be appealing!
Will see head on Thurs and post after to get feedback
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

My son didn't pass and he is September born.
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

I read it on the 'pass marks for the 11+' thread on here.It's around page 4 or 5.
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

My son passed and is a May birthday, My daufgter passed 3 years ago and is August (as are 2 of her friends), but I also know 2 of my son's friends also passed yesterday and are February and October. I think the idea that it is easier to pass if you are older comes from the premise that you are more mature, have has a longer time on this planet ( :lol: ) to absorb vocabulary and ideas etc... To even this up a bit they award extra marks to the youngest. It is a large statistical group (11,000+) and the stats are therfore considered quite reliable. I think it is something like - if all the September children average 120, and all the January children average 118 and all the June children average 116, those January children are given 2 extra marks and those June children 4 extra ... and so on. It may not be quite as crude as this but I believe this is the intended outcome.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

no marks aren't added, the scores are standardised against the marks and ages of teh actual cohort of children to even out any inconsistencies.

Just rushing out now, but i will try and find link when I get back. Try googling nfEr standardisation
dadoftwo

Post by dadoftwo »

Hi Yoyo123,

Agreed, you say scores aren't added, this is true, but as you know, two children scoring the same raw score, one born in September, the other in August, the resulting standardised score will be less for the older September child, to allow for a level playing field.

I guess this is the link you were refering?

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm

The above URL references an example standardisation table, using raw scores, http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -table.cfm

I hope this helps.