Missed Kent by 1 point NVR 136 VR 119 Math 116

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ogremum

Missed Kent by 1 point NVR 136 VR 119 Math 116

Post by Ogremum »

totally disheartened to say that HT appeal also failed - Head said she had no "extenuating circumstances to quote"

Ok, the fact that I went in to see head on the wed prior to Kent test to say that she had viral laryngitis wasn't mentioned, so I guess I should get a gp letter ready?

DD is December born so harder scored, is a very nervy child, suffers from night terrors under times of stress, which she was having in the week leading up to test
SATs for end of year 5 were
Lit 5c
reading comp 5c
maths 4a
sciences variable from 4a to 5c

So on the basis that the above has been brought up by head on ht review/appeal (other than laryngitis) then what do the panel want to know to get her through on appeal!

Oh also rec'd DOver grammar result today, of course she passed that....
Maths 129
NVR 118
VR 116
English 116

SO at least she scored high in maths to contradict the low (ish) math result in Kent test.

I just feel, like so many others I am sure, that the HT appeal has failed her.
DD is very very proud of herself, so am I!! But gah to be so near and yet so far.

We have meeting with HT on thursday which I can update you with after. I asked again about HT reveiw and asked what was wrong with her work, she said absolutely nothing, that its inexplicable and she had no idea.

Are appeal panel remotely interested in terminally ill great granny and great uncle (64 so not old) who have been using up my attention all summer or is it just pointless to mention? What tips has anyone got for me AND is there anyway in this world that you can appeal a HT appeal?

thanks for reading and have a shiney star if you got this far!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi
Why don't you go for Dover Grammar as she passed that one? Rather than go through the stress of an appeal.
I think it should go in your favour that HT was willing to try. Also SATs look fairly good.
We were successful at appeal, but I know others who were not. I'm not sure Dec birthday will be worth mentioning (even if it does seem unfair) as the tests are standardised. Also many children get very nervous.
We stuck to 2 very simple facts - there were mitigating circumstances, which prevented DC from performing as well as expected, and DC had an excellent track record of SATs etc from KS1 putting them within the top 15% ie. not a borderline case.
I'm sure somebody with more experience will be along soon to help. Hang on in there and try to detach yourself from the result - I was very objective, I think that helped me focus on the important points rather than feeling upset and grasping at every straw and bombarding the panel with reasons that could be applied to everyone.
Good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as I know, it's not possible to query a headteacher review. The answer will almost certainly be "Go to an appeal".
what do the panel want to know to get her through on appeal!
Have a look at the Q&As - follow link at top of page.
Etienne
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

wonderwoman wrote:Hi
Why don't you go for Dover Grammar as she passed that one? Rather than go through the stress of an appeal.
We live 16 miles away (on route planner) and I don't think her score is high enough to get precidence - the min actual/average score is 118 and she got 120

I will ring them though and see where that puts her in the pecking order
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now