Free Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Free Help

Post by patricia »

I am an experienced 11+ tutor

Should any parent require help with the Bucks system - please ask. Just beacause I make a 'business' out of the 11+ doesn't mean that I cant help others.

I am fully booked up for 2006 and 2007 - I now teach parents in my area how to teach their own children. I can also do this free of charge on this site.

Patricia
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi Patricia

It is very good of you to offer your help and I hope you may be able to offer me some guidence.

I have a seven year old daughter and so it is a long time until we have to go through this process again (my son having just done the Bucks and Slough Test). However I keep saying, that given what I know now I will be well ahead of the game where my daughter is concerned and will start her practise alot sooner. What are your thoughts on this and when do you think is a good time to start and is there any subtle practise we can do in the coming years to help her in her prep.

With thanks Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Most of my bookings come 2/3 years in advance. I take the child in the January of year 5.

To all these 'bookings 'I say the same thing-

1] Ensure the 4 basic maths operations are up to scratch ie very quick mental recall if I say 7x7 or 53+75 I want the answer immediately not 10 seconds later. The maths on the Bucks verbal reasoning is relatively easy so the quicker they are the longer they get to work out the codes.

2] Ensure the child reads out aloud to an adult at least three times a week, making note of all unknown words. Vocab is a major problem on the test because the child is seeing words out of context. Make up flash cards, play games with them [ I have posted a note about cards elsewhere]

3] Play scrabble but let them use a dictionary [on an egg timer]

Basically anything to do with quick mental recall and vocab.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I believe that your are very wise to think of starting with your second daughter early, Mel. My theory is that, as websites such as this one develop, more and more parents will be aware of the importance of preparing for the 11+, and will get lots of tips to do it well. So the pass mark will rise even further.

Patricia did not mention practice papers designed for younger children. I don't know whether they are any good.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel and Catherine

IPS publish verbal reasoning for younger age groups. I find these useful at the start of my ' coaching' It doesn't frighten the children too much while learning the techniques.

As for teaching the children the actual types too early, I think it can be counter productive, they will get 'bored' seeing the same types over and over.

Rather get that vocab and maths mental recall into shape [ preferably in a fun way]

Patricia
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi Patricia/Catherine

Thanks for your help. I tend to agree that too early could mean boredom. I will use flash cards and my sone has even said he woudl always help whwn its her turn. Thsi whole process ahs been good for my daughter aswell as quite often while my son was practising she asked if i woudl set her some work to do and she done pretty well. I now plan to keep the momentum going by giving them extra help where they need it. I have always taken a big interest in my kids learning and relaise now even more so just how inportant it is to do so.

Patricia I like the scrabble idea, particuarly the glass of wine!!

Mel
Mel

Post by Mel »

Me again

I just noticed the dreadful number of spelling errors and wanted to assure you both that I am infact a good speller but not as good a typist, clearly!!

Mel
Wish Upon A Star

Msg. for Mel...typing errors

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Hi Mel...You can edit your posts to correct your typing errors/spelling if you really want to! Just click on 'edit' in the top right hand corner above your postings. I'm sure parents who read this forum will forgive you though....Ofcourse we know tutors can spell correctly!!! :wink:

W U A S

Re: Free Help

Post by Guest »

Dear Patricia,

I am a mum of 8 year old boy. I am interested in your workshops/classes for parents who want to help their children for 11+. We are in Ruislip. I don't mind travelling. Would you be available to tutor him or no? Could you please guide us in the right direction. Thanks very much.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ruislip Guest

I have made a conscious decision not to take 'business' from this or any other forum.

I am VERY willing to advise accordingly on this forum.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now