Top 10%? And a Newstead Question!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lass

Top 10%? And a Newstead Question!

Post by Lass »

Hi I'm new to this forum and am just debating my daughters options. Hope someone can help answer some questions ...

My DD is really keen on Dartford Girls. We live within one of the parishes listed on the selection criteria (she actually attends one of their previously listed "feeder" schools). She's done well in her Kent 11+ with good scores all round and a combined score of 411 - but what kind of score would put her in the top 10%?

I did ask at the school last night but they were very vague and said there would be a minimum score but it hadn't been set yet. A friend told me last year they were looking at scores over 401.

Does this mean that we can be reasonably confident about her getting her "1st choice" school? It all seems such a lottery!

Also, she is going to sit the Newstead Wood test but it hasn't been one of our favourite choices. If she were to be successful on the Newstead test, would she be obliged to take a place at Newstead even if it were listed lower on our preference list?
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

From what I know, if you put in Newstead after Dartford Girls and if you get into Dartford Girls(which seems a strong possibility from what you are saying), then she will definitely not be obliged to take a place at Newstead. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Hope that helps.
Lass

Post by Lass »

Thank you - the reason I ask is because I know of someone who had Newstead as a 3rd choice and got a place there. I've been told before that if your scores are high enough, you are offered a place regardless of where it is on your preference list ??? It just wasn't clear to me whether you had the option, in those circumstances, of declining Newstead and pursuing 1st choice option.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

I think someone with a lot more experience would soon be here to make things clearer.

But from what i know :-
The council only tells the school whether your child has placed that school as a choice in their list, it DOES NOT tell them which number in the list the said school is. I think Newstead sends letters to high scoring girls telling them they have got a place. I have read somewhere that this isn't right but some schools do it.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You will only get offered a third choice if you do not qualify for first or second choice.

In the example you gave the friend did not qualify for a place at their first or second choice.

(Qualify via oversubscription criteria)
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

The LEA will allocate you the school highest on your preference list, so if you qualify for DGSS you would be allocated that.

Newstead appears to write to girls who scored highly but did not put Newstead first to offer them a place even though they have already been allocated a place elsewhere. They are not supposed to do this, but they do! You can simply turn it down if you are happy with your original allocation.

There was a thread about this a while ago - round about March I think, but it could have been on the Kent or the Bexley forum - i can't remember.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

2childmum..thanks

That was what I was trying to say :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now