anyone else with the same feelings
sj355

Re: recent habs paper

Post by sj355 »

sj355
sj355

Habs interview

Post by sj355 »

My son got a letter from HABS this Saturday calling him for an interview this week. No idea what to expect, so any info from experienced dads and mums - and more importantly sons! - out there would be much appreciated.
sj355

Post by Guest »

This info is from two years' ago so may not be the same now. The interview at Habs was more of an assessment than an interview as such. Whereas most of the other independents used the interview to get the child to talk about their interests and to discuss some general knowledge issues (plus a few general knowledge questions) Habs fired more maths and English questions at the boys which they had to answer orally. They were also asked to read a passage out loud and talk about it. My son didn't find it a very supportive experience and decided to go elsewhere - clearly not the school for him. I did wonder why after so much testing they felt the need to continue this in the interview rather than use the opportunity to get to know the child. However, I think this probably reflects their desire to a) check the child can think on their feet and b) stand up to more pressure. We (the parents) were also invited to talk to the deputy head. Hope this helps.
sj355

HABS interview

Post by sj355 »

This is extremely helpful, thank you. Yes I find it a bit suprising as well that after three tests (English, Maths and VR) they feel a need to check again orally. I do not think this is going to go down well with my son either.

By the way, what was the line of questioning to you by the deputy head?

Thank you very much again,

INEX

asked
Anonymous wrote:This info is from two years' ago so may not be the same now. The interview at Habs was more of an assessment than an interview as such. Whereas most of the other independents used the interview to get the child to talk about their interests and to discuss some general knowledge issues (plus a few general knowledge questions) Habs fired more maths and English questions at the boys which they had to answer orally. They were also asked to read a passage out loud and talk about it. My son didn't find it a very supportive experience and decided to go elsewhere - clearly not the school for him. I did wonder why after so much testing they felt the need to continue this in the interview rather than use the opportunity to get to know the child. However, I think this probably reflects their desire to a) check the child can think on their feet and b) stand up to more pressure. We (the parents) were also invited to talk to the deputy head. Hope this helps.
sj355

Post by Guest »

Not really questioning by the deputy head. More opportunity for us to ask questions although I did feel a little 'on trial' although probably as much my perception as anything else. I did feel more comfortable with the schools who didn't ask to see the parents and based their judgement purely on their contact with the child.....
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Thank you for getting into the trouble to answer again about this.
The interview is tomorrow, so let's see what happens!

All the best,

INEX
Anonymous wrote:Not really questioning by the deputy head. More opportunity for us to ask questions although I did feel a little 'on trial' although probably as much my perception as anything else. I did feel more comfortable with the schools who didn't ask to see the parents and based their judgement purely on their contact with the child.....
sj355

Post by Guest »

Good Luck to your son for todays interview. Perhaps you would tell us how he did.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Thank you for your kind interest,

Quite more relaxed than I expected !! Parents were seeing either the Head or Deputy Head. We had a nice chat with the second and I asked him a few questions concerning the most recent inspection report on habs. He did not ask us any questions apart form whether our son likes the school and what are his favourite subjects.

My son was taken away for an interview, first with 2 other boys by the head of the junior school and then one to one with someone else. She just asked him to read a piece from a book and then asked some really easy questions on it; then discussed with my son a book he had brought with him plus a piece of work he had done recently. No VRs or NVRs questions, no mental maths or anything else of the sort. My son was very relaxed and so were all the staff.

The whole thing did not really take more that 45 minutes. Things do change after all.

All the best,

Xeni

Anonymous wrote:Good Luck to your son for todays interview. Perhaps you would tell us how he did.
sj355