Marks out of 140

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MedwayMumof1

Marks out of 140

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

Hi

I know how the Medway test is marked (Maths, Literacy & VR all out of a maximum 140, with the standardised scores in Maths & Literacy having a weighting of double and the VR counting once) but has anybody any indication of what score is typically required to achieve the higher end marks?

I have ben following a thread on the Kent forum where there is some talk of 75-80% correct being sufficient to achieve 140 but I unsure as to how the Kent scores work in comparison to the Medway score.

I have also seen a previous thread in relation to maths that suggested 12/50 was sufficient to achieve a good maths score.

Help!!! - Anybody out there to aid a confused mum!

Thanks

MMO1
dadofkent

Re: Marks out of 140

Post by dadofkent »

MedwayMumof1 wrote:Hi

I know how the Medway test is marked (Maths, Literacy & VR all out of a maximum 140, with the standardised scores in Maths & Literacy having a weighting of double and the VR counting once) but has anybody any indication of what score is typically required to achieve the higher end marks?

I have ben following a thread on the Kent forum where there is some talk of 75-80% correct being sufficient to achieve 140 but I unsure as to how the Kent scores work in comparison to the Medway score.

I have also seen a previous thread in relation to maths that suggested 12/50 was sufficient to achieve a good maths score.

Help!!! - Anybody out there to aid a confused mum!

Thanks

MMO1
I vaguely remember the maths score thread. However, as I recall, it was suggested that the score of 12/50 was the lowest score achieved by a child that reached the overall pass mark, and assumed that his/her overall score was pulled up by good marks in the other papers.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

The total marks possible in the Medway test is 700 i.e. 5x140 - maths and English are doubled. The pass varies each year but is a little over or under 525. The maths is very hard but scores are standardised, so I was told before by a teacher that one year it was possible to pass with 12/50 - it depends how others got on!
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

I haven't heard anyone say the maths was ok/easy,all have said how hard it was. My DC said it wasnt anything like the practice papers.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

Don't forget the minimum score anyone can get on a single paper is 70 - so in theory you could pass with a very low score in maths and higher results in VR and English. (The scores are standardised in a highly complicated way).

e.g. maths 75 - doubled = 150
English 130 - doubled = 260
VR 120 = 120
Total = 530 PASS

Medway maths is notoriously hard, while the National Curriculum is constantly dumbed down. A lot depends on how everyone else fared.
paulap

Post by paulap »

jeanb wrote:I haven't heard anyone say the maths was ok/easy,all have said how hard it was. My DC said it wasnt anything like the practice papers.
Now I'm really worried as both my twins said it was OK - they found the VR hard:(
emmajane1

Post by emmajane1 »

I am trying (altho not necessarily succeeeding) in reminding myself that finding something hard & not doing well are not really linked especially in this kind of test.
I certainly recall coming out of one A level exam convinced I had failed - & it was my best grade!
I'm concerned that my dd has made a silly mistake & left out a significant / important point in the writing & that even tho she is usually fairly good at English this (esp with the English being doubled) may greatly impede her chance of success. She also thought the maths was really hard tho.

AAAgh waiting is horrid !

Emma
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now