Results - Impact of postal strike

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
polly0494

Results - Impact of postal strike

Post by polly0494 »

Hi all

Naturally, as a worrier, I am concerned over the postal strikes causing delays with receiving results.

With this in mind I rang the admissions team at Medway Council and was advised that if there are still problems with the post, the results will be collected by courier on Friday and delivered to the relevant primary schools for collection on Saturday. The BBC news website suggests that 3 more strike days are planned for next week.

Given that the schools are on half-term next week (my dd's school are already on half term), the council were unable to confirm that any necessary plans with the schools have already been made to collect the results - i.e. that they will open their doors on a Saturday. My worry is that this will delay collection until the schools re-open on Monday 2nd (or for some, possibly Tuesday 3rd).

Has anybody else made any similar enquiries or got any additional information?

Thanks

Polly
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Polly

sounds like they have half the plan in place - just need the other half....

Good luck - it is very frustrating at this time and so near the holiday

Herman
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

You are not the only one worrying, I can assure you. I would hope that headteachers will understand the importance to parents and arrange for the school to be open on Saturday for collection. One more stress we don't need at this time :!:
emmajane1

Post by emmajane1 »

thanks for this information. I have sent an e-mail to school to ask if they are aware of/ cooperating with this plan. I had e-mailed admissions to ask, but hadn't heard anything.

Emma
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Hi everyone.

Just read this thread and it made me think of our position in Hertfordshire ... the deadline for our completed admission forms is tomorrow (right in the middle of a postal strike !!!) ... how's that for perfect timing !

Anyway, back to the thread ... hope you get your results soon, and fingers crossed for everyone for good results x
Knowledge is power

dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

It could affect Kent OOC applicants, who need to submit their Caf forms by the following Friday. Fortunately it has become somewhat academic for my DD, because she passed the Kent test, and will almost certainly get into her favoured GS(well last nights favourite :roll: ), and definitely into another GS she is reasonably happy with. However, if she scores sufficiently highly in the Medway test, RGS would possibly be second on her list. For other Kent applicants, I know the position is not so clear cut.
MedwayMumof1

Post strikes!

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

I think we should be able to collect the results on Friday from the Council Offices, it saves the schools having tp open or further delays where schools are not prepared to do this and may then be closed at the start of the following week on inset days.

Given that if you need to go for a review (or like DOK says, if an OOC child needs to submit their CAF) and these both need to be submitted by Friday 7th, any delays here could be crucial.

I will contact the Admissions section later today and will update you later. Perhaps we all need to get involved here to ensure that the Council adopt the right approach - what do you think?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Let us know what Admission say re picking up the results from Medway Council on Friday please Medwaymumof1?

As my child attends a Kent school, they will not be opening the school for results, so would have to wait until the following Tuesday when term starts again!!
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

I wonder if they do go down the sending them to schools route, would you be able to request that you also collect yours from the nearest medway school to you? I'm sure if you could not make it someone from here could collect for you, and then you could collect from them? (I would be willing to do that for someone)
paulap

Post by paulap »

Have just spoken to Admissions and was told something different. I was told that if the postal strike goes ahead, results will be sent to the school on Monday 2nd November. I asked whether that would mean the appeal date would change etc and they have said at the moment "no" as you still have until the Friday to get your form in. They did say that it might be worth handing them in to the council office personally instead of posting them though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now