NVR/VR Question classes

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Uncle Bob

NVR/VR Question classes

Post by Uncle Bob »

Hi everyone I'm a first time poster (please be gentle!)

I'm guessing this is the peak time of year for wall to wall newbs on here but I've had a good read and have picked up some invaluable information ( still struggling with some of the acronyms that you guys are using though.! :oops: )

For myself I'm attempting to tutor my niece who is disadvantaged by her current family/home and schooling environment. On the other side of the spectrum my other nephews and nieces are already attending super selectives and a couple are attempting the 11+ for QE and Latymer. (Yes it's a big family albeit everyone is concentrating on their own children :roll: )

This forum has opened my eyes to how to tutor my own pre school children but I've been pulling hairs with regards to my niece who has just turned 11... It seems that it's too late for her but I want to at minimum give her the tools to encourage personal development and problem solving irrespective of the outcome of any exam results.

So it's an uphill struggle for both her and me but from what I gather the synopsis of 11+ is as follows ....

NVR/VR Ascertain a demonstrative level of brightness. These tests are a little flawed as there is the good chance of getting through even for semi bright kids (I'm pinning my hopes on this :D)

Crunch time - The 'actual English/Maths papers' - This is really what it's all about, where all the collective abilities and inherent flaws become apparent in black and white for the marker. There are so many posts on these forums from parents disappointed at this stage that it raises a smile from me.

Concentrating on the NVR/VR I have noticed that the VRs are classified into 21 types...

Are the questions for NVR also categorised into classes ? If so, what are they/where can I find out more information about them?

My aim is to correlate the classes and give her the tools required to solve them. The rest is up to her ....

Many thanks in advance and thanks for the support
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

A very interesting first post (and this is only my third).

We live in an area which only used VR tests.
Which can be taught.

There are none of your 'crunch' Maths/English papers so more than ever, children here seem to rely on intensive tutoring in techniques, which I personally, find appalling (but I won't start another debate on merits of intensive tutoring).

Anyone else have any other comments on this?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Are the questions for NVR also categorised into classes ? If so, what are they/where can I find out more information about them?
Have a look at one of the "How to do NVR" books either Bond or AEtuition,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?g=f&c=2

Questions can have levels and fall into groups,

Odd One Out
Codes
Analogies
Similarities
Series
Matrices
(Nets of cubes - not all exams have this :? )

The AE books break down the technique into small steps and Bond do some good age graded books.

Interestingly enough as it is non-verbal, bright young children can often easily work at a higher than expected level DD got to Bond 8/9 aged six, just to beat her brother. :lol:

steve
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

stevew61 wrote:
Interestingly enough as it is non-verbal, bright young children can often easily work at a higher than expected level DD got to Bond 8/9 aged six, just to beat her brother. :lol:

steve
Agree with you here, my oldest son found the NVR practise papers really hard and his younger brother (by 3 1/2 years) would infuriatingly point out the answer with a little added "can't you see? its obvious!" just to be more annoying!
Uncle Bob

Post by Uncle Bob »

Thank you Steve,

Perfect, I take it this is the one you're talking about.

ISBN-10: 0748784969
ISBN-13: 978-0748784967
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Book 1 and Book 2

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b269

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b270

We are going back through book two at the moment to get a bit more structure in our NVR.

Two key themes have emerged, first don't overcomplicate, the odd one out may be very easy don't dive in looking at multi-level answers, secondly check all five answers, just because A fits your thinking E might be a better fit. :lol:

steve
Uncle Bob

Post by Uncle Bob »

stevew61 wrote: Two key themes have emerged, first don't overcomplicate, the odd one out may be very easy don't dive in looking at multi-level answers, secondly check all five answers, just because A fits your thinking E might be a better fit. :lol:
:D :D :D

Yes, I'm a strong advocate for Agile Methodologies which is why I've started out by looking at the simplest, fastest but not necessarily best route for tuition.

I also have time against me, but I hope at the end of this I can help her think in different frame of mind which should prove beneficial in life no matter what the outcome.

Thanks everyone
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

What a lovely uncle your niece has!. I'm sure with all your support she'll go far in whatever direction that may be! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now