139 Verbal; 139 Non Verbal; 115 Maths - worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Herbert

139 Verbal; 139 Non Verbal; 115 Maths - worth appealing?

Post by Herbert »

Daughter is working to 5B in maths; CAT score for numeracy 119. She just missed on the maths (she only did the practice papers - we are out of county and she only decided at last minute she wanted to give it a go) so is registered as a fail despite the other scores? Is it worth appealing to get it changed to pass? If so how?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

What area are you in?
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Top of Sussex looking to go to Kent
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

ok, if these are kent scores, you should have had a head teachers review, did you?

Assuming that's failed then you must appeal. These scores are superb.

When's your caf due in?
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

No headteacher review yet - school not geared towards 11 plus although head supportive. What do I have to do to get a headteacher review?

Have put a grammar down as first choice on application.

Feel a bit daft really - knew she was bright but did not occur to enter for 11 plus until day before closing date! Then didn't occur to get a tutor! Bit naive. However I think now we have gone down this route we are going to fight to get best outcome for her so any advice welcome.

Head seemed to think scores good but I am new to this - what would the 139 be out of?

Thanks
jingle

Post by jingle »

Out of 140. This scores are excellent and nearly maximum. You should appeal!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Sorry, meant THESE scores. The 115 is only two points lower than the 117 qualifying mark. total should be at least 360 which your daughter is way over. Fantasic effort, especially without tutoring. Too late for headteacher appeal I suspect but v good chance for parent appeal. Lots of experts here to advise (not me) best of luck with everything!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

you have done the right thing by putting a grammar first. You will be rejected come March allocation day but it's at this stage you appeal. You can't do anything else until then.
When you get notice of your allocated school you will also get info that tells you how to appeal. Do it, you will probably win with those brilliant scores.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Many thanks. At least waiting until March gives me time to learn more on appealing. I have to say I also figure that if she really is that bright that she will do well wherever she ends up.

Thanks for your advice. Really well run and useful forum.
Oldie

Post by Oldie »

The verbal and non verbal scores are exceptional, putting her in the top 2% of children in her age group. Had she gone through the headteacher appeal process it is 99.9% certain that she would now have a GS place. This child is likely to do very well in a GS, but do not despair, if she is that able her potential should be realised wherever she goes next. In my long experience the majority (not all) of children find their own level and ultimately niche.
It is shameful that children have to take the test so early in Y6 and then have to wait so long for the utcome of parental appeals, way off into March. Little or no consideration is shown to parents and their children.
It is also rather poor that your child's headteacher appears unaware of the procedure, it surely should be their business to keep informed regarding such issues even if they are out of county.
Oldie.