What subjects to choose?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
delta

What subjects to choose?

Post by delta »

My ds has to make his preliminary choices for AS in the next few weeks and at the moment doesn't have a clue what he's going to put down on the form. He's pretty strong across the board which makes me wish his school offered the IB (it doesn't). However, he's sure he doesn't want to switch schools and since he always takes ages to settle down anywhere I think that's probably wise. So, any advice on how to choose four AS? I've asked him which he's most interested in but he doesn't know :? and asked him which he'd prefer to drop and he doesn't know :roll: We've looked at university options but he just doesn't express any strong views. I really don't want him to fall into going in one direction when that inevitably excludes certain possibilities later. If he went for a very general selection e.g French, Geography, Chemistry, Maths, would that be a mistake as it doesn't really set him up for anything in particular? Any advice from old hands much appreciated. We will be talking to the school but it would be good to have some ideas before we do this.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bestpossibleoutcome

Post by bestpossibleoutcome »

Hi,
I don't know whether I can contribute much in the way of help,
but we have been looking at online prospectuses too. We recently
attended a 'sixth form' evening at DD's school. She had some
idea of what she wanted to study at A level before we went, and
now she is totally confused :roll:

Having said that, I am inclined to let her 'sleep on it' for a few
weeks. There's a lot for her to consider. Maybe she will feel clearer
about it when we've been to parents evening next month... or not!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

If he went for a very general selection e.g French, Geography, Chemistry, Maths, would that be a mistake as it doesn't really set him up for anything in particular?
If you can not find a direction or focus before decision day then you need to keep options wide open. Chem and Maths keep science and engineering open, French keeps languages open, I would consider swapping Geography for something else regarded as :oops: can't find the right words. I think Geog. is really interesting and important but another subject may score more brownie points. Think of another science, English, Economics......blimey I have all this to come, three times over. :roll:

steve
missmem

Post by missmem »

Steve,

Geography seems like a 'soft' subject, it did to me as I am more interested in science,biology particularly. But I have been told that to have a Geography degree is quite impressive as it covers physical and human aspects of our earth and the study of recent and up to date events in our ever changing world. Can't put it any better but it changed the way I thought of Geography as an A level subject.
[img]http://l-stat.livejournal.com/img/mood/charitycam/stars/nerdy.gif[/img]
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I don't think Geography is a soft subject. Didn't do my son any harm, 5 offers from 5 good universities, not that he's doing geography at university. There's a lot of work involved, and some tough coursework, but it is a good A Level to have.

LFH
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

My daughter is certain she wants to leave GS and move to college for 6th form, which we are allowing her the freedom to choose with our advice/assistance. She is now claiming that she doesnt want to do any of the subjects she chose for GCSE (except possibly English literature) She is a bright girl but currently appears to be very unenthusiastic about school. She is also pushing to do less academic subjects in our view and we are disagreeing with these decisions. Should we let her choose what she wants or insist on an academic path... I have suggested 2 academic and 2 'fun' subjects, however we are still not any closer to agreeing.
Looking for help

It is very difficult to know what's best to do, overpeck. On the one hand you know how capable your daughter is on the other hand if she's anything like one of mine, if I say this is what you should do, she would do the opposite. Difficult times.
Both of my older two completely changed their minds over what they chose to do once they got their GCSE results. Fortunately the school was accomodating :lol: I think a lot of hesitation has to do with trepidation about the coming exams. Once they have results and see how well they have done, it can change the way they view themselves and what they want to do in the 6th form.Possibly encourage her to apply to the GS for 6th form as well as the college and keep as many options open as possible, I think.

LFH
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks LFH I was going to encourage her to apply to her GS 6th form too. It is always good to keep options open and they may be more tolerant of last minute decisions/changes regarding subject choices. She has been certain that she wanted to change school for quite sometime. How is LFH Number 4 doing at their new school?
Looking for help

Thank you overpeck, he is good.

LFH no 3 went through a bit of a phase a wee while ago talking about leaving GS and going to college to do something else. I have to say I actively encouraged her :lol: and lo and behold she has now changed her mind, and wants to stay at GS.
Actually though at our gs the subjects available to study are fairly few in number, whereas out there in the world there is actually a huge choice of things to do, so maybe it is not such a bad idea, if a bit scary becuase they do seem very young to be deciding their futures. With you keeping a watchful eye on her, she will no doubt make all the right decisions, ones that you are happy with.

LFH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now