How hard is the KE Maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
floozey

How hard is the KE Maths

Post by floozey »

My dd is due to take the exam next year in nov 2010.

We started off going throught the Bond 9-10 however there were lots of topics she had not covered. We are now going through topic by topic of the Bond 'How to do 11+ Maths' and it is proving to be hard work.

We are currently on the algebra topic and she is find this very difficult to understand. Does a 9 year old really find questions like 5x + 3 = 2x + 9 hard?? How hard is the maths in the 11+ exam?? I am starting to give up now :(
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

This is a typical 11+ question - but don't worry. This time last year my son had absolutely no idea how to tackle this type of question, even now he still makes some silly mistakes, however, he does understand how to do them.

At first start with simple algebra, use pieces of fruit on the table etc, gradually make the equations more complex - eventually they will understands that it is really quite simple.

DS hasn't taken the 11+ yet (still 4 weeks away) so I don't know if we will be successful. We did exactly the same as you, starting with Bond... but watch out DS eventually got so used to Bond questions that he could get really high marks, however, using other material he was nowhere near as good

Matt
floozey

Post by floozey »

Thanks that make me feel better.

Yesterday I had better luck and I think the key is repetition and practice before moving to the harder questions.

Any other advise I would be grateful.

Good luck to your son and let me know how he gets on
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

You have lots of time and I think that you are starting about the right time for next year's 11+

Put lots of focus on mental arithmatic

Ensure that Basic maths is fully understood - you don't want to be going over basic addition, multiplication and division in 9 months time

Start to look at simple fractions, decimals and percentages. I printed off and laminated a sheet which showed equivalent Fractions, percentages and decimals (eg 1/2 = 0.5 = 50%) if these are learned off pat then it saves loads of time in the exam

Start going through Bond Verbal reasoning - The only way to learn these is practice and lots of it

Try to extend vocabulary - encourage reading. Many people recommend vocab lists, however, we didn't get on with these. Get a list of commonly misspelt words and learn them

If you are going to sit the English paper (KE schools) make sure that sentence structure and grammar are really well understood.

Most importantly start as soon as possible with a timetable - this will put some discipline in place. If you decide to use a tutor, try to get one on one lessons as these will be much more valuable - they will also be much more focused on learning rather than just techniques to pass the 11+. Initially DS was taught in a group, he now has an individual tutor - the difference is massive, the costs are not too dissimilar (£18 vs £25).

Ideally spend time with your child in a proper 1 on 1 (My DS loves this as he rarely gets to spend proper 1 to 1 time with either parent), it really doesn't need to be an ordeal

The more ground work you do now, the easier it will be later