Who have all the 11+ passes gone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lass

Who have all the 11+ passes gone?

Post by Lass »

At DD school they usually have a very high % of 11+ passes. Traditionally I think 25-35 passes from 45 children. Last year there were 29. This year there are 16.

I have friends all over the area of NW Kent with children at various schools. I know of 2 schools that have had 3 boys pass (each) and no girls, when previously they have had a fair number of passes in both sexes. All the other schools where I have friends are finding a much lower % of passes than is usual.

Is anyone else finding this? If so, why would the % of passes per school drop this year, whilst the number of passes has reportedly risen? Is this because of a rise of OOA applicants? Or are more people hedging their bets by taking 11+ in 2 or more areas (eg Kent, Bexley, Medway ...) - in which case there should be more grammar school places up for grabs than there would seem to be at the moment, because a child that has passed the 11+ in 2 LEAs is only going to take a grammar school place in one?

Are there stats on this anywhere to show number of children taking the test from ooa, or number of children sitting tests in 2 or more areas?

Just curious really and wondered if anyone had any insight. No particular reason for my question except if my theory is right then hopefully local children who have "failed" with combined scores well over the 360 mark but lower than 117 in one subject might still get the school placements suited to their ability.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Our school increased this year in it's pass numbers - last year only one student passed, this year, 3 boys and 4 girls (at least) have passed. At my son's old school - again last year, nobody passed, and this year, 3 or 4 boys have passed and a few girls. So I guess it's swings and roundabouts - isn't necessarily a 'school' record that continues from year to year?
I did speak to one GS headteacher the other day - it was mentioned that more actually took the test, but less students passed this year. So who knows - I guess we'll find out when the GS's get the CAF's
rosered100

Re: Who have all the 11+ passes gone?

Post by rosered100 »

[quote="Lass"]

Are there stats on this anywhere to show number of children taking the test from ooa, or number of children sitting tests in 2 or more areas?
quote]

Taken from another website (why isnt this on KCC where everyone can see? or is it just hidden on there?)

11 Plus news - of the 11,255 children who sat the Kent Test in September, 5,113 were assessed selective, roughly the same number as last year. However, the number of Kent children passing is down by 93 to 4,120, reflecting a lower number in the age group, whilst the number of out county children is up by 69 to 993.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My son's state primary school has twice as many passes in the Kent test this year.
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

ooo lass i think our children might be at the same school lol! :wink: Exactly the same figures as my sons school!
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas of the figures in the various Dartford schools - someone has apparently said that at her daughter's primary, something like 80% of the class passed - seems rather high to me!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Not at an indie, it would be expected.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

This one isn't an indie.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Then a few eyebrows will be raised.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

I'd love to know whether it is actually a high performing school, whether there's something 'unusual' going on, or whether the parent is simply making up!

Apparently she also said that they'd been doing extra work within school for the 11+, but I'm sure I've read on here that schools aren't allowed to do that?