'may contain nuts'

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thea

'may contain nuts'

Post by Thea »

don't know if this has been mentioned on here before - read yesterday - hilariously funny novel and resonates with what many of us are going thru. Yes JO'F the author is a screaming leftie and oviously hates us Indie parents, and the sugary ending is predictable, but a laugh a minute - bit of light relief maybe to read whilst sitting in the cafe outside teh school where the DS/DD is going thru their exam morning...
Best Regards,
Thea
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 51&start=0

Wake up at the back, DS1 say your post and chuckled at the memory of watching the TV show. :lol: :lol:

Parts of it are excruciatingly funny on a par with fawlty towers, you laugh but are embarrassed at the same time. :oops:

steve
Chelmsford mum

Re: 'may contain nuts'

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thea wrote:. Yes JO'F the author is a screaming leftie and obviously hates Indie parents, ...
I love the book. :D :D I disagree with your quote though.He says the very opposite in the foreward of the copy I have. Yes he is a leftie but says he understands the difficult decisions parents make and has friends who have chosen indep schooling.
I also think that whilst Ffion is the most hideous of characters :roll: , some of the others are painted with some sympathy.

I think it is a book about parental fear/ worry which we all suffer from at times regardless of school sector. :oops:
Thea

Post by Thea »

sorry :oops:
Not sure how some of the jokes would have transferred to the screen. Just loved the bit where he is playing table tennis and rigging the points to remind his son of historical dates. And the 'Dresden Bombing Re-enactment Society or something'. Thought the dads were very well drawn, mums more caricatured.
Best Regards,
Thea
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thea wrote:Not sure how some of the jokes would have transferred to the screen. Just loved the bit where he is playing table tennis and rigging the point s to remind his son of historical dates. And the 'Dresden Bombing Re-enactment Society or something'. Thought the dads were very well dran, mums more caricatured.
It was good but not as good as the book.Usually the way and they missed loads out. Still worth catching when they re run it, which I am sure they will. :roll:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

After I bothered to post the thread about 'May Contain Nuts' I found myself unable to watch either episode - cannot remember why now! I hope that they do repeat it. Also, I gave the book away but would love to reread it.