Standardisation

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum123

Standardisation

Post by Mum123 »

Hi there

We're putting my son in for a comprehensive school (out of catchment for us) that has a small number of places it can allocate based on the NFER NVR test.
Does anyone know what the average raw test score (ie that generates a standardised score of 100) would be? eg 60%, 70% etc
The school doesn't have a pass mark as such, just takes the top scorers until the places are filled, so long as none of those is below 100.

A rough idea would help me understand what I'm up against.

Also I have the 4 pracitce tests, any other recommendations for practicing?

Thanks
fm

Post by fm »

I would start with the Bond assessment papers for familiarisation. Do one type at a time i.e. all series, then all matrices etc.. Encourage elimination rather than selection i.e. crossing out wrong answers rather than selecting right ones. Most questions will have one answer that is spot-on and one that is nearly right, and, if you go for selection rather than elimination, child is likely to pick the first he encounters that seems to fit the bill which will mean he only gets half right.

After Bond, assuming all is going well, you could do AFN papers (easiest), followed by Bond Test Papers (hardest), followed finally by NFER (remembering Test A is the trickiest) and you may wish to do that one with him so you don't both become despondent with possible low score.

Hope this helps.
SSM

Re: Standardisation

Post by SSM »

Mum123 wrote:Does anyone know what the average raw test score (ie that generates a standardised score of 100) would be? eg 60%, 70% etc
The school doesn't have a pass mark as such, just takes the top scorers until the places are filled, so long as none of those is below 100.

A rough idea would help me understand what I'm up against.

Thanks
In Kent it is said that a raw score of about 50% generates a standardised score of 120, which is roughly what is required to pass the Kent 11+. However, it is so difficult to say as I presume the score would be standardised against other children taking the test for that school, so it could be totally different.
Mum123

Post by Mum123 »

Thanks fm, we have worked through the Bond how to book, most of which he found quite easy, but I like the emphasis on eliminating the wrong answers, will try that.
He tried test A of the NFER at the weekend and it didn't go well so good to know that's the hardest!

SSM is that right, sounds quite high? This is the only school in our LEA which operates the test, with only about 50 kids taking it (for 20 places) so I imagine they use some sort of national standardisation score system otherwise the sample size would be too low. I have been told that last year a score of 110 would have been enough to get in, but that it varies considerably year on year. Obviously the age standardisation will also come into play, but since he is neither the youngest or oldest I don't think it will have that much of an effect.
fm

Post by fm »

Depending on when your exam is, I would keep NFER papers until last. Bond is good to do with him as it is harder but includes all the combinations he will meet in the Bond papers. The important thing is to use the earlier papers to teach rather than test.