Mitigating Circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yuckymummy

Mitigating Circumstances

Post by yuckymummy »

Hi

We are starting to formulate our appeal and would appreciate some advice. We have a few mitigating circumstances (posted to appeals box) and are unsure whether to proceed with these or whether to pursue an appeal based on illness as our mitigating circumstance.

My son came down with a croupy type cough and cold on the day before the exam but not so bad that we would have postponed. He then got much worse the day after ending up having four days off school (we stupidly didn't get a Drs cert.)

His course work, NFERs (top7%) and SATS (L5 & 5a in Year 5) seem to support our case but we do not want to dilute our argument if the above is strong enough.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear yuckymummy

Thanks for your email.

I'm not sure how much lower than expected your son's score was, but the further away from the required mark, the more need you have of extenuating circumstances.

The illness is unlikely to be enough (unless it was a 'near miss') because, as you recognise, you decided he was fit enough to attend, and don't have confirmation from the GP. I suggest you ask the school to state in writing the dates of his absence.

If you can prove that anything else was happening round about the time of the tests, or that school work was affected at that time, so much the better. With or without proof, I do think you may need to mention the other mitigating circumstances, so that there's a chance they will be taken into account.

I understand the point about not wishing to dilute your case. To avoid giving the impression that you are just coming up with as many 'excuses' as possible, you should be careful about how your statement of appeal is balanced. I would suggest at least a third of your statement should be on the academic side, no more than a third on extenuating circumstances, and at least a third on why this particular grammar school would be the best school for your son.

This doesn't apply to evidence. Gather together as much evidence as you can, and attach as separate appendices.

Hope this helps.
Etienne
yuckymummy

Post by yuckymummy »

Hi

Thanks so much for your speedy response, hopefully the academic stuff will speak for itself and looking back at school work there is definitely a dip in performance around the week of the 11+.

We have also looked at getting an Ed Psych report to verify suitablility.

Now just the long wait til we can appeal.

Thanks so much for all your help. This site has been invaluable in so many ways.