Judd/Skinners/St O's ..... I don't know

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Judd/Skinners/St O's ..... I don't know

Post by doodles »

Help, lovely boy has passed well (410). Am very proud and rather confused. Is it worth doing St O's with that score? Are we "wasting" first choice if we do? Is it worth putting Judd does this jeopardise Skinners? Should we just put Skinners and be done with it as I understand that in previous years this would be good Skinners score. We live in a bit of a no man's land too. Any ideas? Thanks.[/b]
SSM

Post by SSM »

If you had a choice of Skinners or St O's which would you choose.

If the answer is Skinners then I would say there is no need to sit St O's as you are very likely to get a place at Skinners.

As you are in Sevenoaks, you are also likely to get a place at TWBGS, maybe not on 1st March, but after second allocation or appeal.

From past years, it's quite unlikely that you will get Judd, but it is possible.

Hope that is of some help.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Seem to have lost ability to believe myself! Am I right in thinking that if we put Judd (unlikely with 410) and then Skinners they will automatically pass down list to Skinners, so Judd is worth a shot? Unlikely that we would get TWGSB as we live Westerham side of Sevenoaks (That's why were considering St O's as actually nearer for us). If get Skinners can we go on Judd waiting list without prejudicing Skinners place?
SSM

Post by SSM »

Yes to all the above.
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

doodles well done to your son - you must be very proud!! - we are in a very similar position - Westerham - with 411 - We are going for St Olaves because it is our "local" grammar school and if we get in it frees up a place hopefully for a child more local to Skinners (if our score is high enough for a place there) but Skinners is our 2nd choice as we preferred it over Judd despite requiring a lower score and being slightly further away. You should go for St Olaves even though there odds are against us - you never know what might happen on the day! Good luck whatever you decide! Have you signed up for the mini bus if you get into Skinners/Judd?
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

Which is easier for transport? Would you be entitled to free transport for one or both? Is the cost of transport if not free a factor? What is transport for after school clubs like? Do the schools give preference to their own students for a sixth form place?
gordonbennett

Post by gordonbennett »

Have you put your name down for the Olaves exam? It may be too late to enter the entrance exam now. May not, dunno.

TWGSB is a very good school but my feeling is that the admissions problems caused by out of area children this year may be even worse than last year. Last year, having been forced to take an additional form that it didn't have room for, TWGSB went out to, I think, 9.75 miles which is around the middle of Sevenoaks. So if you are north Sevenoaks then you may not get into TWGSB anyway.

There is no guarantee that TWGSB will take another form this year. If it doesn't then anywhere in Sevenoaks may be a problem. If we lived in Sevenoaks and my son was in the 360-405 range I'd be very worried about there being any grammar places available locally this year. A crushing situation for all those children who did well in the test.

But you should be alright for Skinners unless the scores locally are lot higher than last year.
long and winding road

Forms for St O's had to be in by Frid 23rd - don't know if they make exceptions to the rules if there's a good reason.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Have registered - so that's one hurdle out of the way. Just need to make a decision if I can see through the fog.
long and winding road

Good for you! Small steps will get you there in the end!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now