Did anyone see the news?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Monicas Mum

Did anyone see the news?

Post by Monicas Mum »

It seems KCC are considering changing GS places due to a lack of them in West Kent and spare places in East Kent. The way I saw was that KCC said they want more places in West kent and to remove some in East Kent. There was no description of any plans on how to do this, did anyone else see it and what do you think they will do?
Can they make a current GS a Comprehensive? Can they do the same the other way round? I can't fathom out how they will do it, maybe having a ditsy moment it happens quite often. x
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

I kind of saw it but, as you say, there was no explanation of how this would be done!
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Nothing on the BBC local news website though!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Just talked to my Dad(retired education officer) who suggests that this would be done by moving the catchment boundaries
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mitasol wrote:This was in the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 09944.html
Yes this article explains it well. It seems it would be achieved by:

"What I'm proposing would involve an expansion in the west with one or two extra forms of entry.

"However, we could keep to around 24 per cent or 25 per cent of pupils going to grammar school by some reduction in the east."

This sounds like precisely what TWGSBs have had to do in the last couple of years due to the sheer number of passes.

Maybe Judd/Skinners may have to also adopt this strategy which would help overal with the lack of spaces, and their popularity as schools :)

Sounds good news in principle :D
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

The school my one son is at now had to take in an extra form last year, they will not be taking that extra form in this year as they simply do not have the facilities. I was hoping they would of course......as I have one wanting to go there!
gordonbennett

Post by gordonbennett »

I've been lurking for a while so here goes.

CanucksintheUK is that TWGSB? Because we have put that on our list as well. It is real good that KCC have finally woken up to the problems caused by out of area children but isn't moving places west just going to mean more places for those out of area children?

As lots of parents have said on this forum the answer is for grammars in Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells to put local children first. A lot of other parents I talk to at the school gates feel the same.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

No, not TWGSG - though I think my son would enjoy school there! lol
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

gordonbennett wrote:As lots of parents have said on this forum the answer is for grammars in Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells to put local children first. A lot of other parents I talk to at the school gates feel the same.
Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air!

I think parents are wrong to make their children start "commuting" at such a young age, and the authorities (KCC) should put a cap on how far is reasonable to travel...

If parents really want their DC to go to a particular school they should move nearby :idea: especially when you have Judd & Skinners (combined) only admitting 42% of local (West Kent) state school pupils in their 2009 yr7 intake...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now