question on ips paper 4 q 7 white maths book

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chelmsford dad

question on ips paper 4 q 7 white maths book

Post by chelmsford dad »

Johnny decides to write a diary during his Summer holiday from school.
His first entry is on 23rd July.
He makes an entry every day until he goes back to school.
His last entry is on September 2nd.

How many entries did he make in his diary?

I am tutoring my son for the 11+ and consider myself very strong on the maths side however when going through this paper i embarrassingly got this question wrong.
I make it 42 yet the answer sheet says 41.
Can anyone else explain where i am going wrong here as i make 23-31 july inclusive to be 9 days if you are making an entry on each day plus 31 in august plus 2 in september = 42 ?

please help!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I agree it's 42.
chelmsford dad

good thought i was going mad

Post by chelmsford dad »

:( i found one earlier on today wrong regarding surface areas

orange ips book 1 daily test 3 q1 and
white ips book d paper 3 q5 have exactly the same question yet in the answers give two different ones !! should both be 160 cm squared

its not encouraging when youre trying to go through these answers with your kids and some of them are incorrect :roll:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Not good. I'm sure I had the same thing with an nfer nvr question.
harrowboy

Re: question on ips paper 4 q 7 white maths book

Post by harrowboy »

chelmsford dad wrote:Johnny decides to write a diary during his Summer holiday from school.

I am tutoring my son for the 11+ and consider myself very strong on the maths side however when going through this paper i embarrassingly got this question wrong.
Can anyone else explain where i am going wrong here as i make 23-31 july inclusive to be 9 days if you are making an entry on each day plus 31 in august plus 2 in september = 42 ?

please help!

Prob you got 9 days in July(from 23rd to 31st), 31 days in August and 2 days in September.
But the question is that he is writing during his holiday and therefore the day he start to go to school(2nd of september) shouldn't be counted. So there is only 1 day in September and this would make 41 days.
harrowboy

Re: good thought i was going mad

Post by harrowboy »

chelmsford dad wrote::( i found one earlier on today wrong regarding surface areas

orange ips book 1 daily test 3 q1 and
white ips book d paper 3 q5 have exactly the same question yet in the answers give two different ones !! should both be 160 cm squared

its not encouraging when youre trying to go through these answers with your kids and some of them are incorrect :roll:
could you please forward me the question?
dadofkent

Re: question on ips paper 4 q 7 white maths book

Post by dadofkent »

harrowboy wrote:
chelmsford dad wrote:Johnny decides to write a diary during his Summer holiday from school.

please help!

Prob you got 9 days in July(from 23rd to 31st), 31 days in August and 2 days in September.
But the question is that he is writing during his holiday and therefore the day he start to go to school(2nd of september) shouldn't be counted. So there is only 1 day in September and this would make 41 days.
The question says his last entry is the 2nd Sept. so the answer is 42. (I assume the question setter overlooked the 2 consecutive months of 31 days)