Failure

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mr benn

Failure

Post by mr benn »

My daughter just completed her final paper - maths - and says she didn't answer 4 questions, guesed 8 and 6 of her answers were not on the multiple choice answer sheet, so she chose the nearest one!! If thisi s true, even if she got the other 32 questions right, she would only get 64% which will not be enough to get into GS, do people feel this is something we should discuss with her in advance of the results to soften the blow? Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Sorry to hear this Mr. Benn, but do not give up hope. We don't do a maths paper in my area, but no doubt your daughter has other papers as well to take into consideration. Some children may excell in Maths, but have struggled on a paper which your daughter did well on.

Also please bear in mind that most parents on this site have come to the conclusion/realisation that what the children say is not necessarily a reliable indication of how well they did or didn't do. One of my children came out of the exam a few years ago saying how he had guessed 'a few' and didn't complete a section. My heart sank into my boots, especially when his friends came out saying that they had finished with time to spare and thought it was 'easy'. That particular year my son was the only child who got into the grammar school from his primary.

I personally think that ALL children should enter the exam being warned that the standards are high and places are not easy to come by. They should realise that whatever happens their parents are proud of them for having the nerve to even attempt the exam at such a young age.

I hope she passes!!

Post by Guest »

Where is your daughter sitting the exam,as all schools/counties have different ideas on what is enough,and you might find that64% is plenty.

Post by Guest »

To Bo-Peep
I would just like to say that I find your posts very reassuring in times of anxiety, you always seem to say the right kind of things. Thank you.
mr benn

Devon

Post by mr benn »

She sat her paper in Plymouth, one VR and one Maths paper plus the tie breaker write. The general feeling amongst tutors is that they would need to be in the high 90% on VR and at least 75/80 on maths. I don't think VR will be a problem, but with only 2 papers, presumably counting for 50% each who knows. We have explained that there are only limited places etc etc, but will still be a big disappointment for her. We are quite happy with the local Comp, but she wanted to go for Grammar. What will be will be and long term, this will be so unimportant, just right now it is difficult!

Post by Guest »

To You...
If YOur Daughter Missed all Those Questions There is a little chance of her getting in...but she might so dont fret! Maths is hated by all pupils and mostly girls

HOPE SHE PASSES DUDE! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post by Guest »

How reassuring the previous guests post must have been for Mr Benn.

I know it's easy to say Mr Benn but I am sure you are not alone in worrying about the outcome. My daughter said she guesssed most of them so probably didn't even do as much as your daughter.

With over 700 children taking the 11+ in Plymouth this weekend you might hear from other people who's children didn't fare so well. Don't give up just yet, I'm not :)
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Mr Benn

My daughter took maths on Saturday at PHS. She found the exam quite tough, guessed at a few and was on the last question when time was called.

My daughter's friend missed out almost 10 questions and we overheard one girl say she hadn't had chance to finish and had missed the last 20 questions.

As you say the final marking is an average between both papers, age adjusted and it is so difficult to guage how they have done. My daughter may have answered almost all the questions but we have no way of knowing if those she did answer are right!

Good luck to you, hopefully your daughter will have done enough with the questions she has answered.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now