Review?? 506 score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
proudmum

Review?? 506 score?

Post by proudmum »

Anyone going for a review??

My DD got 506 and so far has the highest in her school!! Anyone give me any advice?
waiting in walderslade

Post by waiting in walderslade »

I'm still waiting which is agony! but for me if my DD doesn't pass even by 1 mark I will not be appealing. I would rather she was at the top of a high school than at the bottom of a grammar but everyone has to do what they feel is right for their child
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

if you go for a review you need the school on side. they will look at evidence of her work from the school but nothing else.

If you don't agree with the outcome then you can appeal later on.

You can by pass this and go straight for appeal next year where you can show evidence also. (I think this is how it works.)
gogmister

Post by gogmister »

My eldest missed the mark by 13 points 3 years ago, and we got through on appeal.
It's always a tough call - could they be top of a secondary or not so at Grammar. Personally, i thought Grammar was the better choice as it knew it would be the right place for her. Now she is top of two subjects and doing very well in all others, so it was the right decision for her. I was worried that if she was top of the secondary that she might be left to "drift". Also, when she leaves school she might have found that she isn't top of everything and that her strengths and weaknesses are different from others, and i would rather her learn that lesson at Grammar school.
Whatever you choose, good luck with it all.
gogmister

Post by gogmister »

jenhug wrote:if you go for a review you need the school on side. they will look at evidence of her work from the school but nothing else.

If you don't agree with the outcome then you can appeal later on.

You can by pass this and go straight for appeal next year where you can show evidence also. (I think this is how it works.)
With our dd, we had to do the review first and then the appeal. We couldn't go straight to appeal. (This is only our experience)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Please ensure you understand how the review works. The review process has changed several times. I am not up to date with what is currently happening with the review process.

gogomister is correct that previously you had to go to review before appeal but this also changed. More recently, if you were unsuccessful at review you could not go to a full parental appeal unless you persuaded the appeal panel that the review was not fair, objective or consistent.

You therefore needed to weigh up very carefully if it was in your best interest to request a review or go directly to appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b18

As mentioned, this was what happened previously, so may not be applicable now. Just make sure you fully understand the current procedure before requesting a review.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mitasol is right to advise caution.
If you decide to request a review of your child's test results it is important to note that the Appeals Panel will only be able to consider whether the review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way. Only if there is evidence that itwas not fair, consistent and objective may the panel then consider any factors which you contend may have affected your child's performance and any evidence you wish to present to support your claim that your child is of the required academic standard. If you go straight to appeal without a review of your child's test results the panel will be able to consider these factors. [Admission to secondary school, 2010, Medway Council]
At the Review
Supplementary material supplied by parents or other agencies will not be admissible. [Admission to secondary school, 2010, Medway Council]
Etienne
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

you can still appeal if you do not request a review, I have the info in front of me.

If you decide not to request a review, then you may still pursue an appeal. You will need to have listed both selective and non-selective schools on your form as detailed above.
unquote
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

Appeal following a Review
Where a local review process has been followed the appeals panel cannot make its own assessment of your child’s ability but must consider whether your child’s review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way.
Only in cases where there is insufficient evidence that this has been done may the Panel then consider any factors you contend may have affected your child’s performance and evidence you wish to submit to support your claim that your child is of the required academic standard.
Appeal without a Review
If you chose to go straight to appeal without a review of your child’s test result the appeals panel should consider any factors that you believe may have affected your child’s performance.

The appeals panel may then need to consider any clear evidence you present to support your claim that your child is of the required academic standard. This evidence may include school reports giving SAT results or a letter of support from your child’s current or previous school clearly indicating why your child is considered to be of grammar school ability.
Please note that representatives of schools being appealed for are not allowed to provide a letter supporting your appeal or to attend the appeal hearing with you.
appealingmum

Post by appealingmum »

My cherub got 516. Very distressed. Do you appeal or review though?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now