Are Your Kids Out Trick or Treating?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarymary

Are Your Kids Out Trick or Treating?

Post by scarymary »

I was wondering how many forum members' kids are out trick or treating tonight, or if they're interested in Halloween at all, if you disallow it, or take part yourself.
I saw there was an article in a newspaper yesterday about handing out healthy treats like apples to any kids who come knocking.
So what are your thoughts?
(We're not doing anything, by the way).
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

We've had 13 ( :shock: ) trick or treaters here so far. All fantastically dressed up, all under the age of 10 - many of them much younger - and all supervised by their parents.

Forget the healthy treats - give 'em chocolate, I say! :D
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DS2 is hiding in a wheelie bin by the front door, as trick or treaters approach DD (illuminated by candles, with bucket of sweets) he pops out. :shock: :oops:

Funny thing is as they approach the house they all say, remember this is the house where they jumped out of the bushes last year. :)

Wonderful that all the door knockers from five year olds up to fifteen seem to know and enjoy DS2 and his sense of humour. :lol: :lol:

Parents seem to enjoy standing on the pavement and watching their kids get a shock.

Have to say locally here in Caversham it is well organized only houses showing lights are approached, the kids are well supervised, except mine. :)

steve
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Mine have just just watched Merlin and now watching Strictly. No trick or treaters so far, but have a bowl of sweets ready...!
moved

Post by moved »

Mine not out this year, busy watching Merlin and now Wii winter olympics + I cooked duck for dinner.

We have had quite a few so far. Scary little ones and some older ones with great makeup.

Being me, when DD went out last year I impressed upon her that giving was important too so she offered sweets to the houses she visited.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think that it's good fun and only fair to allow children to experience what most of us did when we were little. We accompany ours (at a distance) and only knock on doors of houses who are clearly geared up for Hallowe'en (pumpkins or something else adorning their house) - I take that as a signal that it's okay to disturb them.

Mine MUST (and do) say audible thank yous to people. I know that some see it as a form of begging, but I don't. I also know that some don't celebrate it for religious reasons - I teach in a Catholic school and we're not allowed even to mention it. As long as it's done in a responsible way, I cannot see the harm. We have never done a 'trick'.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm quite sad really , my children are too old and hide now in case someone comes to the door, except the youngest who couldn't muster any support among his friends for the trick or treating business (too 8) )

Anyway it's not like the way it was in the old days in Scotland down here in the South. We used to get all dressed up sometimes a ghost or witch, and sometimes something more elaborate, eg a gypsy (not necessarily scary) and have to recite a poem or sing a song in order to " get our halloween ", which was usually a handful of monkey nuts or hazelnuts and an apple. There was no trick or treat American style, just good old fun, no trickery involved. However how many of us nowadays would let our children go inside complete strangers' houses to sing or recite poetry ? When I look back, it seems like complete madness, and it wasn't really that long ago, honest :lol: :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

A friend of ours has a bucket with sweets and a bucket with lychees to represent eyeballs. Yucky trick.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

I've just brought my three little ones in (ages 7, 9 and 10) - though we did take alongn with us the 12 yr old from next door, the 6 yr old and 4 yr old from a couple of doors down, and their cousins aged 10 and 7. We only did our street, and they had fun. Only houses with a pumpkin or other such 'invitational signal' were approached. They had fun :) We have had only two groups of trick or treaters at ours so far, but....the night is young :)

I do miss Halloween 'Canada style'........your kids would be one of a couple of hundred on the street out trick or treating......it really is a neighbourhood event and has NEVER been seen as begging. Sure, you would buy about 30-50 bags of candy to hand out, but your kids would bring home at least as much, and my eldest two - the candies lasted until Christmas at least.

However, due to some downright nasty antics, usually reported in the States......I would never let the kids eat a piece of fruit, or an unwrapped item - unless we knew the house it came from. Many people if giving homemade toffee apples, popcorn balls or the likes - would wrap it and attach a label with their name, address and phone number on it - as they knew without that info, most of it would just get tossed.

Happy Halloween!
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

We have left sweets outside our front door with a note saying please do not ring on the bell or knock on the door as we have a disabled child who is scared of people at the door. Our eldest is desperate to go trick or treating but as we know how difficult it is for us I don't want to put that onto anyone else - autism and halloween do not good bedfellows make.

AM going to check sweets in a mo and hopefully there will be some left :lol: :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now