Girls maths paper easier?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
on the ball

Girls maths paper easier?

Post by on the ball »

Hi there

Has anyone else heard that the girls maths paper is supposed to be easier than the boys?

I thought that introducing the maths paper was supposed to test the girls in all areas ,not make it easy so they all do well in it,what's the point in that?
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Hello on the ball

No, haven't heard the maths test is easier than the boys. This is the first year there has been a separate maths test in the girls 11+ so I guess it's an unknown quantity for most people.

I do know several girls withdrew from this years 11+ because the maths paper was introduced.
on the ball

Post by on the ball »

Hi there

It's interesting that you know of girls who pulled out because of the maths paper,there doesn't seem to have been a drop in the number of girls sitting the test.

Maybe it has evened itself up with girls who might not have sat it before,but are strong at maths?
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

yes maybe or perhaps this year more girls would have applied for the 11+.

However, when we went to DHS open evening the Head there told me that such a lot of the VR was maths based that she saw little change in the overall structure of the tests.

Which school have you applied for?
on the ball

Post by on the ball »

Hi Saltash Mum

We have applied to PHS

It is interesting what you said about the VR containing a lot of maths,and yet a lot of girls still pulled out,seems a shame.

It's probably fear of the unknown.

Hope your daughter is coping OK
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Hello on the ball

We've also applied to PHS.

My daughter is ok, in fact she is almost far too relaxed. I am not at all relaxed though!!

Good luck tomorrow with the maths
on the ball

Post by on the ball »

Hi Saltash Mum

I know what you mean,I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight!!!

Your daughter has probably got the right idea,the children have done all they can,so there is no point in getting stressed,at this stage it is probably more damaging.

Good luck tomorrow.
rita

Hard sums

Post by rita »

I guess the maths was just as hard as the boys, any feedback on how other girls did?

Saturday's Maths Test

Post by Guest »

Hi,
My daughter found yesterday's test hard and said she had to guess a lot of the answers. Oh how I chuckled at that! Overhearing a lot of the other girls I got the impression a lot found it hard. I have to take solace in the fact my daughter was as prepared as she could have been and if it isn't to be then that's how it is. She worked hard and did her best that's all I can ask.

I feel a bit deflated today after all the nerves and begging and pleading to do the work for it! I even said let's do a test for old times sake - you can imagine how that went down!! :lol:
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Hello All

Well that is that, no more can be done and now the dreaded wait (which has been preceeded by the parental exam post mortem!!)

My daughter found the maths quite tough. She managed to answer all but one of the questions but did guess on a few. My daughter's friend left out 10 of the questions, she found the VR a lot easier.

We overheard one girl saying she had left out 20 questions having been unable to finish so clearly a few of them found it challenging.

My daughter came back from school on Friday clutching a science SATS revision book they had given her, poor kid!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now