New, lost and in need of help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Clarkey

New, lost and in need of help!

Post by Clarkey »

Hello! I hope everyone is enjoying the 'Indian Summer'! (though I am sure it won't last :roll: )

I was hoping for some advice. My eldest is just about to start the dreaded 11+ and I fear her Maths may need some help. It has never been our strong point so we are at a bit of a loss. The school says she will be fine but can anyone tell me is they think tutoring is a good option? We don't want to pay for something that is not worth it...

Thanks!
Always keep trying. The result is always worth it...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Clarkey

Welcome to the forum (from the not so summery yorkshire dales!!!! :wink: ).

Which schools are you looking at ? there is lots of info on the forum - but it tends to be school or area specific ...

Herman
Clarkey

Post by Clarkey »

Hi hermanmunster.

Thanks for the quick reply. We live in South West Lonon and therefore (as is the way it seems!) our first choice is Tiffin Girls. We know that it is difficult to get into though!

I don't think I would describe us as pushy parents but I do believe that a good education is the most important gift we can pass onto our children. So we want to give Amy the best possible start in life. Therefore we have also looked into some private day schools in the area too, just in case...
Always keep trying. The result is always worth it...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Clarkey

You best source of info for Tiffin would be to post in the Surrey section - I'll move your post there and you should get some more response from those in the know!

post moved to Surrey forum - Clarkey, it's further down the page under the counties / LEA sections!
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi Clarkey

You don't need to tutor in maths for Tiffin Girls as the test consists of verbal and non verbal reasoning. You will find a whole range of opinions on this site as to whether you need to use external tutoring for reasoning tests and if you decide to DIY there are lots of resources available to help you. If you decide to go down the tutor route, you can ask users to PM you any recommendations - just bear in mind that many of the tutors for Tiffins will have a very long waiting list, so depending on what year your DD is currently in, you may need to get her name on a list pretty quickly.

If you are looking at Independents as well, then your DD will almost certainly have to sit a maths paper and tutoring may well help build her confidence and/or fill some of the gaps that her primary school may not have covered :) .

Good luck
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi
We got a tutor for DS as his English isn't great and imo I think it's the hardest subject to DIY, if you're a layman.

He did do a bit of maths with his tutor but mostly he did it at home with me. DS worked his way through the Scofield & Sims books, which I thought were very good and got him through the WCGS exam.
Plum