No That The Dust has Settled

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reddebs

Now That The Dust has Settled

Post by reddebs »

Hi All
I am sitting here by myself in the Medway forum reflecting on the weekend's events and thought I would pen my thoughts.

It has been an extreme weekend and my thoughts have been with all as you have endured the lows and highs of the 11+ wagon.

Whatever the outcome for our ds or dd this forum has been a platform for you all to seek support or to support others in a similar situation. It also allows for a certain amount cover to allow us to freely express our views.

The Medway forum is usually very quiet and in the past I have often viewed and thought that Medway parents have either not found this site or do not feel the need to participate. The events of this weekend have shown me that there are a huge number of people that have found it useful to communicate with others.
If you are one of those people, please spread the word to those joining the 11+ circle of life so that they can find the support that many of us need when going through this process.
Best wishes to all
red_debs
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

Yes it's been a very nerve wracking weekend and a real roller coaster. It ended fantastically for us personally but I know that's not been the case for many others.

It's certainly seen the forum come into its own - from very few postings to an avalanche. We've seen a sudden blooming of parent power with people pressing the council to get the results and achieving a u-turn decision that at least got them sent out...if a little haphazardly.

It shows that there are plenty of amazingly supportive parents out there, rooting for their kids all the way. And whatever the result and the secondary school your child goes to, that support will make a massive difference to their future.

I'm sure we'll end up meeting parents at the new school and will suddenly 'twig' that they were medwaymum, dadtotwo or some other forum member...or even you - goingloopy :wink: !

Sometimes Medway gets a bad press and we foolishly believe the negative story but this forum just shows there are plenty of clued up, savvy and hugely caring parents out there. We live in a fantastic place surrounded by lovely countryside and there are some great schools. Too many people take Medway for granted.
louloustrumpet

Post by louloustrumpet »

It's a great little forum. I came to it a bit on the late side, mainly due to my daughter deciding that she wanted to do the 11+ three days before the cut-off date for submissions - talk about cutting it fine :roll: She's home educated at the moment so it was a bit of a bolt out of the blue when she said she wanted to take the test. Until I came on here, I had no idea that some people trained their kids for a year or more, or had them tutored (not disapproving, just saying). I don't think I realised how competitive things are at this stage in a child's education.

I'm glad the waiting is over and I'm surprised at how nervous I got. My daughter somehow managed to be much calmer about it than I was, but I guess there were different things at stake for each of us. For her, she suddenly decided she'd like to try school if she could get into grammar but was equally happy to stay at home for another year or two. For me, as well as being upset for my daughter, a fail would mean that all those parents who condemned me for taking my kids out of school last year would be having a good gloat in the playground. We're very happy that she got a good result.

As for Medway, it is a great place, some beautiful buildings, stunning countryside, and it's full of passionate artists and musicians. Sure, it has its ugly bits but doesn't everywhere? I just wish the council would stop ripping the best bits down in the name of regeneration - there'll be no heritage left. :x

Medway Eyes is a great place to start if you're into art and music and don't know much about the local scene. Advertising removed by a moderator

I hope that whatever the outcome of the tests, all your children go on to get the education that suits them best and makes the most of their potential. Well done to all the children who took the test. They all deserve a treat after so much pressure.
tiredmum

helpful

Post by tiredmum »

Friday and saturday were a nightmare wait for many of us. I was always expecting bad news so had an amazing surprise when the results finally arrived late saturday night and they contained good news :D - over the moon dosn't even capture it! This forum got me through those two hellish days. I could see i was not alone, my childs results had not been forgotten as there were many others in my situation. I want to say a BIG thank you to this forum. Providing the information and support us anxious parents needed. 8)
louloustrumpet

Post by louloustrumpet »

Sorry, didn't realise that counted as advertising.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now