Bexley 11+ 2009 statistics

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tracy

Bexley 11+ 2009 statistics

Post by Tracy »

These are the results as supplied by Bexley Council:

4690 took the test and, of those, 1270 were deemed selective (27%).

2628 came from Bexley primaries and, of those, 445 were deemed selective - 17%

79 came from Bexley independents and, of those, 54 were deemed selective - 68%

1983 came from out of borough and, of those, 771 were deemed selective - 39%

So, of the total number of selective decisions, 1270:

65% went to children from oob/indies (771+54)

35% went to Bexley children (445)

For the top 180, 115 were awarded to oob children.

All of the above figures relate to children being 'deemed selective' and not grammar places at this stage.
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Hi Tracy,

Where did you get that info from?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Bexley Council
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Yes, I meant is it available on the website? Can anyone access it?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Sorry, misunderstood you, I emailed the council with various questions and they supplied the data.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Tracy - so, just to be clear, of the 2628 children from Bexley state primaries who sat the test this year, only 17% were deemed selective? When Bexley talk about selecting the top 25% (or whatever the figure is they use), I always thought they were referring to Bexley children. It never occurred to me that the pass rate for Bexley children was so low :(
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Yes, that's correct.

Although it is actually 27% that are deemed selective, I think Bexley parents and Bexley teachers need to be aware that this figure refers to the whole cohort.

As you can see the actual chance of a Bexley child attending a Bexley primary being deemed selective is just 17%, which works out, on average, to about 5 kids per class of 30.

Up until now Bexley's residents have been led to believe that if a child is in that top 25% bracket within the class environment then they have a fair chance of success in the 11+. This is clearly not the case when so many out of borough kids are entering the system.

You also have to remember that the out of borough kids will have to opt in to Bexley's system (ours is opt out) so for this reason only kids with a pretty good chance will be entered and this is why so many out of borough kids pass.

This also explains why so many Bexley kids, who would normally be expected to pass, do not. It's a shame because these local kids could cope very well at their local grammar school but are having that route closed to them.

I think Bexley parents going through the system need to be aware of these figures to avoid huge disappointment. Also Kent parents need to be aware that this will have a knock effect into Kent because if Bexley kids can't get into ther local schools they will try their luck there.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Of course not all children who attend Bexley state primaries and are deemed selective will get a grammar school place as some in the north of the borough will be out of catchment. I always thought that the top 180 places, which are awarded for high scores, not distance, were meant to address this problem. But it looks as if only 65 of these places go to children attending school in Bexley (and presumably quite a few of those 65 will attend an independent?)

I hadn't realised Bexley children were so disadvantaged in their selection tests. :(
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The 65 figure is not broken down any further, so I can't help with that one yet. But based on what we already know, it's more likely for the top 180s to go to indie kids than to Bexley state educated ones.

I think Bexley parents really need to wake up to what is going on. Bexley kids are so disadvantaged in their own tests.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

But, conversely, doesn't a quite large number go onto Kent GS's, restoring the balance.