Rainham Mark or the Math

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
testbuster

Rainham Mark or the Math

Post by testbuster »

Come on then, all of you. Who has experience of these schools, which would you pick and why?

DS is very academic, sensitive and thinking, not very sporty and we live in Rainham.
howard123

Post by howard123 »

that is the same question we are asking ourselves now....our son plays Rugby so naturally the Maths is attractive but we're rainham end as well and getting him over to the Math's would prove really tricky...

My understanding is that RMGS is less traditionally academic and more pastoral and "modern" whilst the Maths is probably stronger academically...

I've also been told that your child's pass mark is a good indicator of which one you should pick as one if definitely more academically challenging than the other.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

So do you think the Math is more challenging? RMGS has better A level points, offers three languages at GCSE, an AS level option in years 10 and 11 and takes them from rank order of score (he got a high pass). I know my lad would thrive in a very academic setting, it's what he's needed all along, I also know he'd hate rugby and love the skiing etc on offer at RMGS. But is it the right one??? Maybe the open evenings will shed more light.
tiredmum

best

Post by tiredmum »

I know we all want the best school for our child but with two excellent schools on offer I personally would choose the one that proves the easiest independant travelling option for my child. :)
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

We had this same dilemma two years ago. We live in Rainham and chose RMGS. I am very happy with the decision. My son is very happy. Having visited both schools he insisted he wanted RMGS and given the proximity to where we live it makes sense. Both schools are very good schools but very different schools, RMGS seems a bit more relaxed.

The one thing to be aware is that it is difficult to get into the Maths from Rainham as distance is the very last thing on their criteria. If you look at the last two years the last distance was 4.8 mls (2008) and 5.6 mls(2009). I think it is possible to get a place on appeal over distance.

It really is a very personal decision and you should not be swayed one way or another by what people say. You and your child will just know when you visit the schools which is right for you. We are very happy with our choice. We have to make the decision again this year and will give younger son same look around schools as elder son but on our experience RMGS will be the one but as I said you should choose the school on how you and your child feels and not on other peoples' views.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

His own preference is RMGS - he's worked so hard for it and it makes sense in so many ways. I just want to be sure it's the right decision. I know distance could be a problem too.
textqueen

Re: Rainham Mark or the Math

Post by textqueen »

testbuster wrote:Come on then, all of you. Who has experience of these schools, which would you pick and why?

DS is very academic, sensitive and thinking, not very sporty and we live in Rainham.

Hello, have son at math yr 8. V happy with school. Kind caring teachers that instill such confidence. This especially matters for my son at sport which he is less able than his academic ability. Even though he is in bottom of 3 groups, he is filled with enthusiasm by teachers and is making good progress in rugby.The boys what ever their ability are encouraged to be the best they can at all times. I do not think a perfect school exists and the math is no exception, but my son seems so much part of his school and very proud to be so. love the math!!
textqueen

Re: Rainham Mark or the Math

Post by textqueen »

testbuster wrote:Come on then, all of you. Who has experience of these schools, which would you pick and why?

Oh sorry testbuster but Rainham distance may give you tough time. If your son really likes school though be pushy, I know boys who have got a place at math from rainham Hoo etc.
jokiebe

Post by jokiebe »

i've just been reading your posts..... does anyone know what pass mark is a good passmark to be considered for the Math? (im just grateful my son passed) the Math is the nearest to us, but having looked at Chatham Boys tonight im wondering if it might be better for my child as it did seem a little more laid back... just my opinion... might be wrong. Did any of you go tonight... what did you think???
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

A simple 521 pass is enough for the Math, the cut off is on distance, sadly.