LEA Rep in HEARING

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dissapointed mum

LEA Rep in HEARING

Post by dissapointed mum »

Hi Etienne, and all,
I have just returned from our appeal hearing (thank goodness it is now over with) and just rto reiterate what others have said, the appeal panel were lovely, I had a retired Female Head teacher, who is now a govenor, and a female Lay representative who has never worked in education but has grown up kids that have all been throught the systems, and I had a male Lay representative who has worked in bucks schools. The panel were great, and listened to what I had to say, very understanding conccerning our extenuating circumstances, They asked some questions, not many though, and they were just basic fillers like doe he like reading, does your son do his homework with out a fuss etc. THEN, the thing that I think has killed it for us is the Horrible Lea Rep who was so old it looked like he was a fossil of some sort, and very miserable looking, he read out a sentance in my sons school report that the science teacher had wriitten,that Jack finds it difficult to grasp new concepts at times.( He got a B+ for science and is predicted level5 for SATS,)and this rep said to the panel that if he struggles with new concepts then he wont be able to cope at Grammar school, because they are working on new concepts all of the time.
From that moment on, I felt our chance was just yanked right from under our feet, so I really dont know. I will post our result on Wednesday if we get it then, but Im not holding out too much hope.
DM
Darren

Post by Darren »

I have talked with people with similar stories of cold Panel members asking awkward questions.

Then to their suprise they have been successful apeals, and others who felt very good in their appeals with smiles and nice friendly feelings but were not successful.

So don't don't take it bad. I really hope it's successful.

Was this report a year 5 end of year report ??

darren.
usa

Post by usa »

Hi DM
I meant to wish you good luck for today - sorry I was late. I am glad the appeal is over for you now and hope the wait is not too long. Sorry to hear about your LEA rep........obviously put there for a reason......
Remember though - it is not him that makes the decision - and the panel are not stupid - they would have read that comment beforehand in your sons report - they did not need him to reiterate it.
I hope all goes well for you and you get the result you want!
Good luck!
USA
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi DM

I'm sorry you felt that the LEA rep put a downer on the whole thing, but I'm glad it felt good up until then.

I shall be interested in Etienne's comments on the LEA rep's attitude, as I have never heard of a rep highlighting negative points in that way during a hearing. Their main role is to put the LEA's case (in the standard format) and advise on procedural issues and the administration of the exam itself. Whilst they have a right to comment on the evidence beyond that I don't think that they often do.

At my appeal last year the LEA rep asked a couple of questions, but didn't refer to the case papers during the hearing. He was also the nicest person on my panel by some way!

Just to let you know, results letters seem to be taking a bit longer to come through this year, so don't hold your breath for Wednesday!

Chin up - you just can't tell.

Sally- Anne
dissapointed mum

Hi Darren,
No it was the last terms year 6 report. End of year 5 was a good report too, and he also achieved the end of year school prize for effort and achievemnet. Pity he couldnt have commented on that rather than what he did.!
Thanks usa for your kind wishes. I know he has nothing to do with the decision, so I hope they discount what he said.
Yep my chin is up Sally Ann, no point being down and miserable, weve done what we can, and now its in the hands of the Gods. We will make the best of what we have to when the letter arrives, and Ive a feeling we may be looking at 12+ route.
I think Ill come and join you on being a panel member, and get some order back into the system, An order of fairness acroos the board I think!!! THE FOSSILS NEED TO GO!!!!
DM
Darren

Post by Darren »

I imagine some Panel members do it for their own personal Authoritative Ego's. And not in the interest of the child's future or desperate parents.

Pretty much on the same Level as a Magistrate.

Therefore can come across cold and nasty..

fingers Crossed for you..

Darren
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

And I thought DM was complaining about the Local Authority representative .........:D

Sally-Anne, it happens occasionally that the LA rep. makes a negative comment, but in my experience most of them did nothing to undermine the parents' case.
Etienne
mum1

Post by mum1 »

Hi
We also had an LA rep who joined in alot and was very negative. We didn't expect this. We are waiting for the notes to see if his comments have been minuted fully as we were unhappy with some of his comments. Sorry that this has left you worried, the trouble is we just never know until the appeal envelope arrives. Good luck.
dissapointed mum

Hi Mum1
Was he and old chap with white hair and beard? Looks like he should be pensioned off?? When did you have your appeal. Hope you get a happy letter in the post and get through. Good luck.
DM
Guest7

Post by Guest7 »

Let's hope he doesn't read your remarks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now