Skinners admissions.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blue Peter

Skinners admissions.

Post by Blue Peter »

After the delight in getting my DS's results, which was 410, I am now feeling very down in the dumps as a lot of people are telling me that we are unlikely to get into Skinners with this result. AS far as I'm concerned, no - one will really know until March 1st, but it's very upsetting to hear such negativity - any views?
doodles

Post by doodles »

My son got 410 too and we have been given only positive encouragement about applying for Skinners. In past they went down lower than 410 (think it was 406 last year but am happy to be corrected).
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Dont panic!! If you read through past threads you will see that although first allocations were high last year they did come down as people shifted around/moved accepted other places.
Skinners came down to 406 i think - check back on threads!
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Thanks, that's great. The people who have been saying this have children at my DS's school who got far lower scores, and so I'm hoping it's just a case of sour grapes - fingers - crossed!!
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Yes I have seen that last year it was 406, but when people claim to have spoken to people "in the know", it's very unnerving. But there is no way that anybody can be `'in the know" is there?? We haven't even got to the deadline for applications yet. How can anyone be "in the know"????? Oh dear....
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I think scores this year might be a little higher as Skinners seems to be preferred by many parents from a pastoral/atmosphere point of view. But I hope by not too much!
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

kentsussexborder wrote:I think scores this year might be a little higher as Skinners seems to be preferred by many parents from a pastoral/atmosphere point of view. But I hope by not too much!
Yes, I agree - at least on this forum anyway everyone seems to be talking about Skinners & not Judd - so the scores could possibly even reverse for these two schools this year! I must admit to preferring Skinners but DS changed his mind at the last minute for Judds purely on the music department - 2 brand new grand pianos caught his eye. :lol:
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Blue Peter wrote:Yes I have seen that last year it was 406, but when people claim to have spoken to people "in the know", it's very unnerving. But there is no way that anybody can be `'in the know" is there?? We haven't even got to the deadline for applications yet. How can anyone be "in the know"????? Oh dear....
The cut off score on allocation day can only be determined once all the applications are in and it will be determined by the number of boys who put down Skinners and their scores. Whilst it is possible to speculate/have a hunch about what the cut off score will be, I can't see how anyone can have spoken to someone "in the know" or that anyone is "in the know". I think that your DS has a good chance of getting in and I wouldn't be put off by playground gossip. Good luck!
SSM

Post by SSM »

I would agree with kentsussexborder, Skinners does seem to be gaining popularity.

However, as stated above, in the past a score of around 405 would be enough to gain admission, I would doubt that it would suddenly rise to above 410.

Also like someone else has stated not all the CAF forms have even been submitted yet so no one can know.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I agree that no one can know yet, but it doesn't stop the gossip-mongering/scare stories. I heard one that the anticipated cut off scores were 420 for Judd and 415 for Skinners! Now that one is hard to believe but there are always those little niggles at the back of your mind that resurface at 3am...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now