ranking done in Yr5/6

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum1

ranking done in Yr5/6

Post by mum1 »

I want to share our experience. It was not until it was too late that we realised the importance that the appeal panel would place on the ranking list that the headteacher had compiled. It was in the appeal following a narrow miss on the tests that we came to realise it.
The academic recomendation needs to be a 1 or 2 to even stand a chance, with mitigating circumstances.
Our advice is to question your child's head in year 5 and try to ensure that your child is placed as high as possible on this ranking and scored a minimum of 2 (the attitude score is not as important). Don't leave it until year 6 as they cannot amend the lists.
Our appeal panel based their decision on this, unfavourably for us.
Our head did not realise just how important this ranking/and score was taken by an appeals panel.

Post by Guest »

Mum1,

Thanks for this information.
If you don't mind me asking what county does this refer to? I understand that for Bucks this system prevails, but am not sure if this system is countrywide.

BW
mum1

Post by mum1 »

Hi, yes it is Bucks. We had moved in from Oxfordshire and hadn't found this forum in time! I feel like we were eaten alive and weren't properly prepared...too late for us I fear.

Post by Guest »

I was just looking back at older posts and this thread prompted 2 questions:

1) Is the headteacher not supposed to rank according to their considered opinion as to suitability for Grammar School? I am not sure how parental request could come into this. Any kid could have a 'off day' so how would a head know which kid might need a higher ranking - so all they can do is honestly rank children for suitability.

2) why does your child have to be in top 1 or 2? Surely if the top 30% academically are supposed to go to Grammar School the top 5 or even top 10 should be good (assuming 30 in a class).

Thanks for any enlightenment :)

Post by Guest »

2) why does your child have to be in top 1 or 2? Surely if the top 30% academically are supposed to go to Grammar School the top 5 or even top 10 should be good (assuming 30 in a class).
I think mum1 is saying you need a ranking of 1 or 2 in suitability not that you need to be postitioned as 1st or 2nd in the class
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

To correct the statement of the first poster, the Order of Suitability is done in the Autumn term of Year 6.

I doubt that "lobbying" the Head would change very much, but I would certainly make sure that the Head knows the level of your child's achievement, and not say anything to lower their opinion of your child!

The full detail of how the Head's are supposed to arrive at their ranking is in Section 13 (Page Eighteen) of the Guidance Notes for Heads, published by Bucks CC. Note that they have not been updated for the coming academic year yet, and the OoS guidance seems to change every year.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... 1_plus.pdf

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have had a PM from another Member to remind me, quite rightly, that I am NOT on the Bucks thread here, :oops: although I suspect the posters so far have been from Bucks.

The use of the Order of Suitability varies from county to county. In her area, although the Head had to prepare an OoS, the Member's child was not ranked.

It seemed to make no difference to the eventual Appeal.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Thanks Sally-Anne and Guest, I at least AM in Bucks and am feeling quite enlightened fo a change! :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

If you stick around and also register as a Member (bottom of the page, no nasty spam or suchlike) you will be very enlightened indeed for a long while to come. There is a lot to learn on how to make the system work in your favour. It isn't cheating - it is just knowing how things work.

I started out as a desperate Bucks Appeal Mum and am now a resident Amateur Expert! Whatever one of those may be! :D

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Gosh Patricia - that was a very painless house move there. :lol:

One moment we're all on Tips, the next we're over on Bucks!

Where next - Mars? I have my bag packed!

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now