writing on the paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

writing on the paper

Post by Milla »

I know this has come up before, but I still don't understand why the children in Glos can't write on the paper. What possible reason could they give? Other regions allow it, why not Glos???
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

This seems ridiculous to me aswell. Only found this out the other day and my son has been doing all of his working out on the paper.
What actually happens to them if they do that ?
Milla

Post by Milla »

Shot, I think.
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Ah figures
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes less places required that way!
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

So do they have scrap paper then?
Surely they need somewhere to work things out.
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, they get scrap paper but obviously some of the questions - like the long ones, it would be so much easier if they could just mark the paper. Also you worry about how literal the invigilators are - will dotting the alphabet counting forwards or back count?? :shock:
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

If there are any marks on their exam paper they should just leave them there, not try to rub them out. I read that somebody, last year, wasted time trying to rub old markings off their paper.
capers123

Re: writing on the paper

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:I know this has come up before, but I still don't understand why the children in Glos can't write on the paper. What possible reason could they give? Other regions allow it, why not Glos???
Could be that they recycle the first paper every few years. Hence you may find previous childrens markings on the paper - which may be right or wrong, but off-putting at the least!
Capers
confusedrow

Re: writing on the paper

Post by confusedrow »

Milla wrote:I know this has come up before, but I still don't understand why the children in Glos can't write on the paper. What possible reason could they give? Other regions allow it, why not Glos???
My son had practised by marking the paper - especially when it came to jumping along the alphabet. He was completely thrown by not being able to and was sent into a bit of a panic. I am sure this contributed to his lower than expected score. :evil: When they are pressures by time in that way, it only takes the slightest thing to put them off their stride. He was really crss about not being able to do his working out on the paper.