2009 Raw Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
committed

2009 Raw Scores

Post by committed »

I have just received the raw scores from KCC. They wouldn’t give an average score, so I asked for a September birthday score.

To achieve 140, a child with a September birthday would need the following raw scores

VR: 60 – out of 80 questions – 75%
NVR: 54 – out of 72 questions – 75%
Maths: 42 – out of 50 questions – 84%!! :shock: :shock:

To achieve 120, a child with a September birthday would need to achieve the following raw scores

VR: 43 = 54%
NVR: 39 = 54%
Maths: 28 = 56%

I'm a bit shocked at the Maths score needed - so much so that I had to check... The others come in pretty much as expected.

However, seeing as there are so many standardisation questions I thought that we may be able to answer some of them if a couple of others emailed them to ask for different months scores needed... I don't think I can email them again!! :oops: The email address is kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I'll ask for July scores as my DS is 31 July birthday.

If I'm interpreting it correctly, it would seem that the maths was perhaps easier than previous years so children had to achieve a higher raw score to gain 140.
committed

Post by committed »

I think that is right. From reading previous posts it seems to be that the maths has moved to problem solving. But having a DS who is prone to silly mistakes, it's not ideal!! :?
orangebear4

Post by orangebear4 »

I don't suppose anybody knows how that compares with last years (2008) raw scores for an equivalent September birthday? I wondered if it was posted on here, but couldn't find it.
:?:
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I have just emailed for the January score and just reached out for a glass of wine (for medicinal purposes you understand in case it is a scary reply)!
committed

Post by committed »

I have seen scores given for last year - but they don't clarify what month they were based on. The scores quoted were:

VR - 75%
NVR - 72%
Maths - 80%

But it would be great to get a direct comparison.

I also wonder whether Kent went too far and made the Maths paper easier than previous years - which doesn't affect the number who will get 140 but does mean that every silly mistake counts so much more. :( Do you think that will influence their thinking for next year...
committed

Post by committed »

tigger2 - I have a large glass in hand as well....
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

This makes interesting reading for me as I have a number of children I tutor that sat the Kent test and then sat the Medway test.
A few of them acheived top marks in Maths and Verbal Reasoning in Kent but did not get anywhere near the same marks again in the Medway Test.

Initially I did not think too much into this as all that were successful in Kent were successful in Medway so no big issue. But the more I thought the more it bothers me as perhaps there are more underlying reasons than performance on the day.

My initial thoughts the Maths was easier in Kent than Medway
Same for Verbal Reasoning (although both are meant to be from the 21 types)
But I am not sure that this truly explains the difference.

I had heard that there was a large number of OOC applicants for Medway - could they have attained the higher marks I wonder?
If so then assuming not all of them take places in Medway grammar schools (their reasons for sitting the Medway test are not always to gain a place in a Medway school) then there is likely to be a number of empty places this year (this happened last year too) So maybe those that missed the passmark in Medway and may not be currently considering an appeal need to rethink.

Sorry I know I am rambling and I am going to post this on the Medway forum as well but these thoughts have been rattling around my head for a week or so.
Any views? Also if he who must not be named reads this I would appreciate his views.
Regards
red_debs
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

reddebs wrote:This makes interesting reading for me as I have a number of children I tutor that sat the Kent test and then sat the Medway test.
A few of them acheived top marks in Maths and Verbal Reasoning in Kent but did not get anywhere near the same marks again in the Medway Test.

Initially I did not think too much into this as all that were successful in Kent were successful in Medway so no big issue. But the more I thought the more it bothers me as perhaps there are more underlying reasons than performance on the day.

My initial thoughts the Maths was easier in Kent than Medway
Same for Verbal Reasoning (although both are meant to be from the 21 types)
But I am not sure that this truly explains the difference.

I had heard that there was a large number of OOC applicants for Medway - could they have attained the higher marks I wonder?
If so then assuming not all of them take places in Medway grammar schools (their reasons for sitting the Medway test are not always to gain a place in a Medway school) then there is likely to be a number of empty places this year (this happened last year too) So maybe those that missed the passmark in Medway and may not be currently considering an appeal need to rethink.

Sorry I know I am rambling and I am going to post this on the Medway forum as well but these thoughts have been rattling around my head for a week or so.
Any views? Also if he who must not be named reads this I would appreciate his views.
Regards
The main difference will be the way the scores are standardised, as has been previously discussed.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi dadofkent can you explain more as I am not sure how this would make a difference across the 2 tests.
Regards
red_debs
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now