All over now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

All over now

Post by moved »

Sit back and relax, all over, lucky things, please don't leave the forum though, or worse lurk :shock: . Some of the poor souls still have the exams coming up.
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

My son did his test today at Pates. The good news is that there were 586 pupils sitting there, not over 700 as we feared.

He managed to complete both papers and came out happy which was a relief. How did everybody else get on?
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

My son sat the test at Pates today. He came out quite pleased with himself (or just pleased it was all over!) and had managed to finish both papers.

If anything he thought the first paper was a bit harder and said that there were a couple of types that he had not seen before but found them fun!

The second paper was in the same format and with the same types that he had practised.
Pushkin
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

DS1 sat at Tommies today. Didn't notice any kiddies crying so obviously no-one was tortured :lol: He too said paper one was harder. All smiles and just glad it is over I think. Now for the long stag for results :?

Hoping to goodness he remembered to do opposites when he should have and similarities when he should have!! Now the doubts are creeping already. Would it be naughty to question him mercilessly?? More importantly would he tell me the truth or will the men in white coats get me before then????
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

My son sat at Tommies and I have to say when I went in to pick up there was a real buzz in the place. All the boys seemed happy.

Loved the drop-off routine first thing, nice ladies coming to your car and whipping your son out so there was no hassle trying to park.

Feedback from son - he found paper 2 harder, but August b'day so could just have been reaching his concentration threshold. Did 80 questions on paper 1 and 72 on paper 2. Might be enough, might not but no point analysing now and his timing had been awful so to answer that many was brilliant and to think to tell me means he knows how much I was worrying about his timing - feel really guilty, but also slightly pleased that at least something was going in!

Had a chat with nice lady from the Forest whilst waiting to pick up. She said even if her son passes he won't be coming as it's too far to travel. In terms of preparation she showed him the practice papers sent by Tommies last night! Hopefully that's one less to worry about!
Perplexed 2009

all over

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

Hi all

Thanks for all the info over the months - we started out with Bond and realised through this forum that we needed to be using IPS, AFN, SD and Walsh!
I was worried I'd disadvantaged our DD by tutoring her myself, but today she said there were not any "types" that she hadn't tried before.

She sat it at Pates (closest). She has had great probs finishing papers, so she was much relieved to find "the first paper so easy" with 15 mins to check! She guessed the last 3 on the second paper as she ran out of time, and said she found it harder (everyone else was sat with their arms folded and finished early!). Big smiles when it sunk in that it was finally over.

It doesn't seem to matter much about the result right now as she has come out unstressed; shame the school has sent home homework. Theme Park tomorrow so homework will not be done!

Thanks again - X-factor seems to be priority right now for daughter.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My DS finished both papers but thinks he will do better in the second.

According to him it was harder so apparently he concentrated more :roll: . He spotted the rolling eyes so quickly backtracked on that little unwanted gem of info. :lol: especially as he is so right about the benifit of a harder paper.

Would love to think he was using his spare time to check paper but the indepth descriptions on other people's finishing times and detail of doodling on his scrap leads me to believe otherwise :wink: .

So any of you lurkers out there the DP of one of the 4 girls sitting the test in Tommy's and do you know something about next year's admissions that we don't? Don't think there is a emoticon for being nosey is there? :)
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

Another point that emerged from the exam yesterday was that the front covers of the answer sheets were already printed with the children's details (date of birth etc). Well, this was the case at Pates, anyway.

This might be useful for people to know in the future.
Milla

Post by Milla »

well, I spent yesterday afternoon rather low. I'll tell you why since the clear light of dawn has now come and, yes, tomorrow is another day.

I picked the boy up (having had a very enjoyable morning with a couple of other site parents!!!) and he was excitable and chatty. It had all gone well. My heart started sinking. He had found it easy. My heart edged further south. Both papers easy and had finished in each case 10 minutes early. I picked my heart up off the floor.

He then ran through a couple of the questions as examples (won't cite them). Wrong. vocab-based and just wrong. Verbal Reasoning had been applied, but I know that the answers reached were not what the setters would have meant. He then mentioned a mouse question. Ambiguous. Presumed wrong. I drove home keeping hysteria in clear peripheral view; succeeded in not crashing car. Boy and mother still alive, in a physical sense anyway.

I spent the rest of the day bigging up the comprehensive. DS2 said that he doesn't want to go to that comp as so many of his form are going, wants to go to another, not as good, further away. I didn't get drawn.

I'm now, wisely ( :oops: :!: ), putting my lowness down to an understandable sense of anti-climax, a huge deflation, which I should perhaps have predicted. A sort of massive exhaustion with the whole process. All further interest in compound words and mirror codes can, however, be forgotten; in my case, forever. No small joy in silver linings.

The mouse question, it appears, was from a chat he had with his friend about a computer game. Worrying that he was saying this to appease me, having picked up on my angst, I texted a friend whose daughter is very reliable. No mouse questions. Massive relief. As to the other 2 questions, I calmed my panicking little soul by telling myself that it was 2 out of 165 questions. DH said that he would have remembered those 2 (the only 2) because of an element of doubt, because he's like that.

So am now at the acceptance stage, having done desperation and denial. Not saying I'm ready for the 20th/21st but trying not to obsess. Trying to think What Will Be Will Be. Maybe all ours found it relatively "easy" because they are clever, and have been well prepared and not, as yesterday's take made it, because they/he are massively deluded! Friend's daughter (clever) found paper 2 much easier than paper one.

Good news ( :? :roll: :oops: ) about reduced numbers at Pates. Anyone with any idea about the other schools, DRd and so on?

Thank you so much (to other contributors, to Mods) for giving the comfort of this screen, somewhere to rant, ask questions, offload etc!! And to key others, for coffee and laughs.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Awww, Milla!!
My DS1 also came out smiling and saying he had finished 10 mins early on both papers and had time to check. He also mentioned at least two educated guesses on paper one (english) and one on paper two (maths). Like others have said, they will not come out talking about the ones they knew. Why would they?

DS1 has been all upbeat and I, like you, have been trying to keep my gob shut while panicking about marks on the answer sheet and wittling about how the computer marks it. We all will have our insecurities and worries now. Funny how everyone else's seem so daft!! Yet our own take on gigantic proportions and threaten to engulf us. Believe me Milla I am on the brink as well. I expected to feel all happy and relieved and I so do not!!

I think distraction therapy is the only way...until results
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now