question marking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

malkbk

question marking

Post by malkbk »

Patricia (or anyone) Can you confirm that all the questions in the Bucks exam carry one mark each?
My son takes a long time to do some of the coded word questions and I am thinking of advising him to do these last in the exam if he has time. Is that the right thing to do?
many thanks
Barbara
mutley

11+ exams

Post by mutley »

Hi Barbara

My three children have been through the 11+ and the only useful bit of information I can give you is that if you are using the IPS books you will recognise this type of question as type Z - leave those to last (wasn't sure if you were talking about these ones being the coded ones?) as I understand it these type of questions only get one mark and they can take a while to work out and in that time your child could have answered 5 or more other question types which are much quicker to work out and each carrying one mark as to only one mark for the type Z questions. I hope this makes sense.

From what I can gather it is one mark per answer but if anyone can clarify this that would be good.

good luck

Post by Guest »

It must be more than one mark per question as the mark is out of 141 and not 80.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is one mark per question - the standardising then scales it to between 69 and 141.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 is quite correct - it is one mark per question.

Although it is certainly worth considering the child leaving the question types they find most difficult to last, you do need to be very sure that they are organised enough to come back to them at the end. I am certainly not convinced that my son would be able to do that!

It would be important to make sure that they have a pre-determined, and well-practised "method" to work to, to remind them that they have unanswered questions.

If, for example, there are 5 marks available for the coded questions, and the child were to forget to return to them, that could (before standardisation) represent 6-7% of the available marks. With the pass rate being (very approximately) 86%, that leaves very little margin for error on the other questions.

Sally-Anne
malkbk

Post by malkbk »

Perhaps I should have said equal marks for each type of question in my original query.
Thanks for your responses. Although it is early days I can already see the ones which are going to pose a problem for him.At a later stage I will concentrate on the actual exam technique so that he knows what to do.
thanks again
Barbara
mutley

Post by mutley »

Our children had a system of putting a circle around the question number on the exam booklet for any questions they did not want to answer at that point in the test (especially type z). This meant they could come back to a question when they had completed the rest of the test and flick back over the question booklet and easily recognise which questions they still needed to answer. This always worked very well and hope this is something you could implement.

marking

Post by Guest »

just read somewhere that kids are not allowed to write on question papers for working out ect. is it right :oops: :oops: ...!!!????

mutley wrote:Our children had a system of putting a circle around the question number on the exam booklet for any questions they did not want to answer at that point in the test (especially type z). This meant they could come back to a question when they had completed the rest of the test and flick back over the question booklet and easily recognise which questions they still needed to answer. This always worked very well and hope this is something you could implement.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

As guest55 has stated It is indeed I mark per question before the standardisation process, regardless of difficulty or time taken.

I agree with mutley re ringing question booklet question number, last guest you CAN mark the Bucks VR booklets for the 11 plus but NOT for the late transfer, may be different for other areas

My personal opinion is that child should never leave out whole sections, each section comes in batches of 6,7 or 8....if child leaves a section of 7 codes, 'merrily' continues to the end, time may well be getting on and the child STILL has to go back to those DREADED codes, panic sets in, mistakes are made.

Most children enjoy codes in the beginning, but soon become bored with them. Once the technique is mastered they are EASY marks, as ALL the information is there. I tell my children just to plough on with them and to say to themselves 'I know these will take me extra time, but it doesn't matter because they are easy marks and I am bound to get full marks on them'

Again as mutley has suggested, I tell my children that they MUST leave the 2 Z questions till last, they can take 2,3,,4 mins to complete for 2 marks, its better to lose 2 marks than a whole section of 7.

Patricia
mutley

Post by mutley »

I can understand not writing on the answer sheet which goes through a computer for marking but understood through various sources that they could write on the question booklet which does not go through the computer. I think clarification is needed on this one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now