Medway 11+ exam leak

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Parent100

Medway 11+ exam leak

Post by Parent100 »

Has anyone heard the rumours that some parents and schools knew that there was going to be the requirement for children to write a persuasive letter?

I have heard it from several independent sources that this is true and that individual parents and some schools were getting their children to practice letter writing at least one week before the exam.

If anyone has specific information relating to this subject I would be interested?
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

You may find it is a co-incidence that some schools did persuasive writing practise. Different areas need to be covered and it depends when that happens. Last year my child's school had not practised the subject matter at all. I do know of a lot of children last year that were expected to pass and failed by a lot and I think you will find this most years. I understand your disappointment that your child did not pass but I think it is wrong that you are implying that other children only passed because they had insider knowledge of the english subject when an awful lot of children have worked very very hard to achieve the results they have.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

My child was predicted to narrowly pass and thats what she did. Two days before the exam I happened to to go over newsapaper reports and letter writing just incase they came up. Lucky for my child they did. I dont think letters have been in the test for quite a few years so some schools who gear towards the 11 plus, and tutors may have made it a priority to cover them.
Some could say that those that have personal 11 plus tutors are advantaged over those that dont. Or those that go to private school have a better chance of passing. But even so ALL these kids, weather they pass or fail, have tutors or not, work hard. I am concerned that a post like this distracts from that.
I have another child who took the test 5 years ago - children in the class who were in the top groups all the way through school failed, while others who had just started doing well passed, it happens every year. :)
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I know of many children who have taken the Medway test, all from different schools/areas and in fact most were completely caught out by the 'letter'. Although everybody knew it could be any piece of writing, it hasn't been a letter for years and nobody really expected it!

One of the schools started practising stories the week before, another diaries....I think it sounds like a coincidence to me. :)
oneangrymum

Post by oneangrymum »

We certainly had no idea or rumor regarding the Medway Test Extended Writing. We were also on practicing stories and diary entries. The letter had not even been thought about in our house/school but happened to be a winner for my DS as it was something he felt comfortable with. However, if it was the same for the following week for those who took it later, they would have had an advantage.
oneangrymum

Post by oneangrymum »

We certainly had no idea or rumor regarding the Medway Test Extended Writing. We were also on practicing stories and diary entries. The letter had not even been thought about in our house/school but happened to be a winner for my DS as it was something he felt comfortable with. However, if it was the same for the following week for those who took it later, they would have had an advantage.
Parent100

Post by Parent100 »

Thank you for the replies so far. I am sorry that some people are taking my question personally but hope that they are not implying that my child did not work hard to pass the exam. I also used practice papers etc to prepare my child for the exam. However there is a distinct difference between practicing exam technique and actually practicing the exact element that appeared in the actual exam one week prior to the exam.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I know my son's tutor always practises different types of formal letters but they are mostly always to the council! Think its a common one. At school my son has had to write to the council before as an exercise, way before 11+.
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

Parent 100 I am sure your child worked really hard as well but for you to head this forum 'Medway 11+ exam leak' when you have no hard evidence is wrong. You are implying that the children who passed must have 'cheated' by practising the subject in advance. In your other post you state your 'child passed badly although they were predicted to pass easily'. It would therefore appear that it was not only the english paper that was a problem. You obviously feel strongly about this for your child, which I understand, but please don't try and blame somebody else for this as if it were the case that there was some prior knowledge, which I don't believe, it would only affect a handful of children and not the majority.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I don't think Parent100 is accusing anyone or sounds bitter in her OP. To me it just sounds like she has heard rumours and is wondering if any one else has heard the same rumours.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now