Tiffin Boys - test information [Retired]

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Tiffin Boys - test information [Retired]

Post by Etienne »

Thank you to 'atestingtime' for submitting the following. (2010)
atestingtime wrote:

With 2 sons there and this website having been invaluable I am inspired to register, make my first posting and do the same with information gathered about Tiffin. Hope it helps - atestingtime

Selection for admission to the school is by ability only as measured in performance in two tests, non verbal reasoning and verbal reasoning

Tests comprise of 2 exams each of 80 questions in 50 minutes, taken at the school on the same morning in December with a break in between exams

Test papers are written by GL assessment (formally nfer Nelson who were until Jan 2008 part of NFER)

NVR has 4 sections of 20 questions; no time limit has yet been allocated per section

NVR questions have historically been chosen from 6 types
  • Analogical relationships
    Isomorphic relationships
    Codes
    Series
    Odd One Outs
    Matrices
Tiffin has 140 Year 7 places each year which are allocated in order based on total highest standardised scores calculated from the raw scores of each test.
Additional information can be found in the School section and on Tiffin School admissions page.
Etienne
MyUniMoney

Re: Tiffin Boys - test information

Post by MyUniMoney »

Any hints or indications from TS so far whether they will follow TGS and require Math & English tests as well?
rakomaster

Post by rakomaster »

I think Etienne information may not be up to date.

From Tiffin's website and 2014 Admission PAN: they have 150 places year 7 places, not 140.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

atestingtime wrote:

With 2 sons there and this website having been invaluable I am inspired to register, make my first posting and do the same with information gathered about Tiffin. Hope it helps - atestingtime

Selection for admission to the school is by ability only as measured in performance in two tests, non verbal reasoning and verbal reasoning

Tests comprise of 2 exams each of 80 questions in 50 minutes, taken at the school on the same morning in December with a break in between exams

Test papers are written by GL assessment (formally nfer Nelson who were until Jan 2008 part of NFER)

NVR has 4 sections of 20 questions; no time limit has yet been allocated per section

NVR questions have historically been chosen from 6 types
  • Analogical relationships
    Isomorphic relationships
    Codes
    Series
    Odd One Outs
    Matrices
The above is still valid for 2014 test. PAN is 180 and catchment area is 14km on straight line basis.
viv108

Post by viv108 »

This is going to sound very silly and naive of me, but another mum told me that there was some rumour about some changes to the format of the tiffin test? I am sure this can't be true due without a consultation, but has anyone else heard anything similar or know what she might be referring to?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There is no change for 2014 test.

No one knows what changes might come for later years i.e. 2015 onwards. Admission arrangements are put to consultation in Dec - Feb window and the determined arrangements are published in April. So for any definitive answer for 2015, we will have to wait till then, unless Tiffin School 'officially' leak some information before then.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Pheww...

But honestly, I wish they do the same as the Suttons. I think they will have to go TGS way too.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
mgm

Post by mgm »

Is Croydon in the catchment of Tiffins Boys?I am confused about this.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

For current year, the catchment area is 14 km radius from School (KT2 6RL). You could check straight line distance from your home address to School using freemap tools.

For definitive answer, check with Schools Admission office or Kingston LA.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The tests are now changing for 2016 intake (tests in 2015).

NVR/VR tests are proposed to be dropped.

1. Stage one will be multiple choice test in English and Maths.

2. Stage 2 will be standard format test in English and Maths. Equally weighted for combined score.

PAN is being increased to 180.
Catchment is radius of 14 km.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now