Format of Lessons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
i-qah

Format of Lessons

Post by i-qah »

I have been following the very useful advice offered by everyone on this forum for many months, particularly Patricia's.

I have opted for home tuition, so this help is invaluable, and have encouraged my son to read out loudly daily (which his school encourage anyway) and the other tips on expanding his vocab. This is certainly his weakness.

I purchased the IPS books Patricia has recommended and run through the types of qs and the quick practice sessions on these. I haven't started the practice papers yet.

MY QUESTIONS now are, can anyone give me some advice on
i) how often to give lessons, and how long they should be
ii) more importantly how to STRUCTURE them - tips from tutors would be appreciated!
iii) should I set 'homework' for my son to do during the week?

thank you

PS My son will hopefully sit the 2007 BUCKS exam, undecided about the BERKS yet.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear I-qah

Good to see you wish to DIY....

Firstly take note of my first post in the following thread

viewtopic.php?t=1458

Weekly sessions could be.......

1] One test [in the order suggested above]

2] perhaps an hour session to include......

a] vocab work[flash cards....see above thread]

b] mental maths[above thread]

c] work on difficult areas....use AFN tests choose sections, depending on weak areas.

Anymore will be overkill, creating resentment, boredom ans fatigue, for you AND your child.

Patricia
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

I tend to agree with everything Patricia says most of the time.

I would suggest, as well as following her advice, that you download the free demo for CD1 from this site. The CD Demo contains 105 questions covering all 21 question types and can be attempted as often as he wants.

Regards

Mike
i-qah

Post by i-qah »

Patricia/Mike

thank you for your help - I've downloaded the demo CD - we've both had several goes already - I can see now why the CDs are so highly rated by users in other threads (and no marking either!). Will be buying the full version sooner than I thought.

thks again
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now