Colyton practice test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumbojumbo

Colyton practice test

Post by mumbojumbo »

Hi there
Did anyone else's DC attend the Colyton practice test on Saturday? What did they think? My DC seemed OK with it
Does anyone know how many children sat the test? Are the applications up on last year?
Thanks
Mj
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Glad to hear that your DC seemed OK when s/he came out on Sat. My DS is only Y5, but his older friends seemed to think that the papers were reasonable too.

Best of luck for the real day. :D
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thanks Pilchard! Good to know there's someone out there in Devon!
Mj
happymum

Post by happymum »

Good luck to you DC for the 21st :D
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

according to the head applications were about the same this year as last.
tintin

Colyton familiarisation tests

Post by tintin »

Hi! My child also sat the tests on Saturday and thought they were OK. Came out looking exhausted though ...
tintin

Post by tintin »

Also, does anyone know what sort of score we might be talking about with the 'qualifying score' - I've been told that last year or the year before it was as high as 98%!!!
happymum

Post by happymum »

I was under the impression that Colyton didn't release any details about the results - at least they didn't when my child qualified two years ago!
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

98% sounds amazingly high. Could be the jungle drums have added some extra notes!

Results aren't published but gossip is rife!

Don't forget the English is marked in house and that gives them quite a lot of control over the overall scores!
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

they don't release any details. In fact it's quite hard to get your own child's figures if you want them.

Strangely the numbers who "pass" the entrance exam always exactly equal the number of places. Therefore the standard required must vary from year to year. As someone said there is plenty of scope with the English exam for varying the results.

A few years back I knew two children who were told they had "failed" but subsequently got places. They both did reasonably well (by Colyton standards) in their GSCEs.