Tiffin Boys - Test Info

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
atestingtime

Tiffin Boys - Test Info

Post by atestingtime »

Very clever of Shaftsbury1 to post a sticky with the info about Sutton exams, can the mods do similar with this post?

With 2 sons there and this website having been invaluable I am inspired to register, make my first posting and do the same with information gathered about Tiffin. Hope it helps - atestingtime

Selection for admission to the school is by ability only as measured in performance in two tests, non verbal reasoning and verbal reasoning

Tests comprise of 2 exams each of 80 questions in 50 minutes, taken at the school on the same morning in December with a break in between exams

Test papers are written by GL assessment (formally nfer Nelson who were until Jan 2008 part of NFER)

NVR has 4 sections of 20 questions; no time limit has yet been allocated per section

NVR questions have historically been chosen from 6 types
• Analogical relationships
• Isomorphic relationships
• Codes
• Series
• Odd One Outs
• Matrices

Tiffin has 140 Year 7 places each year which are allocated in order based on total highest standardised scores calculated from the raw scores of each test. http://www.kingston.gov.uk/admpolicy_tiffin2010.pdf
Irene+

Re: Tiffin Boys - Test Info

Post by Irene+ »

atestingtime wrote: NVR has 4 sections of 20 questions; no time limit has yet been allocated per section
Atestingtime, thank you so much for this info!

I would like to be sure that this year NVR will not have timed sections :?
atestingtime

Tiffin Boys - Test Info

Post by atestingtime »

I agree - the unknown is always a worry with these exams.
In my experience I would say Tiffin was unlikely to have separate time limits for the nvr questions - the children sit the tests in rooms all over the school - in the hall, in the sports hall and in classrooms with teachers in charge everywhere. Its hard enough for them to ensure every boy starts and finishes the whole test on time let alone turns over a new section page every 12 minutes!

But you never know!
boltew

Post by boltew »

Do each of the four sections contain 20 questions of the same type?
atestingtime

Tiffin Boys - Test Info

Post by atestingtime »

Yes - It is my understanding that each section of the four contains questions from the same area of NVR. These four sections are taken from the 6 NVR areas written above.

So in the 2006 paper there were 20 questions on Codes, 20 on Matrices, 20 on Odd One Out and 20 on Analogies. No 2 DS took it this year and I quizzed him after in Neros over a large hot chocolate!

Anyone know the content of any other years?
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Do any of you know if Tiffin Boys and Girls sit the same exam ? many thanks
Thea

Post by Thea »

MNIB - sorry, nothing to add to the deabte - just to say I like your name :lol:
Best Regards,
Thea
atestingtime

Tiffin Boys - Test Info

Post by atestingtime »

Tiffin boys and girls sit the same VR and NVR tests on the same day - in past years the two papers were on two different days but for a few years now both tests have been sat together on a Tuesday in early December.

The boys school have so far only held a morning test session whereas the girls have held both morning and afternoon test sessions. Space? Numbers?

27 November 2009 Details of the arrangements for the examinations will be posted.
8 December 2009 11+ exams (Non Verbal and Verbal Reasoning Papers, multiple choice)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now