Moving into Catchment - Experiences

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tracey

Moving into Catchment - Experiences

Post by Tracey »

We live outside a Grammer School Catchment (Newport Girls In Shropshire) and have been looking to buy a house in catchment for several months without any joy.

Our eldest daughter is sitting the exam in December and we have 2 younger daughters who we also want to sit in a few years.

We want to live close to the school to minimise their travelling and to ensure they can make the most of friends and school clubs.

We are now looking at renting until we can find a house to buy but realise this looks suspicious!! Our own house will be on the market in the new year.

With 3 daughters all of Grammer School ability (according to Primary school headteacher) we really want to give them the best chance and hence make a permanent move.

Does anyone have any experience of similar situations and the outcomes?

Many thanks in anticipation....
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I am going through this at the moment Tracey.

You will find my detailed, extensive ramblings in rehab; which have recently been made more interesting by Moving and Yoyo's contributions of their current 'moving house' experiences. Do join us if you wish to.

The outcome is still awaited for me...

It has been a painful adventure!

Good luck!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tracey

From a Bucks perspective, the most important thing is that you can clearly demonstrate that the move is permanent. Ensure that all your key personal paperwork (bills, bank statements, child benefit, TV licence - everything) are registered at the new address immediately.

Get several valuations from agents to prove that your asking price is realistic. Make sure that your estate agent knows the situation and will keep a record of viewings that can be produced to show that you are serious about this, and also keep copies of adverts in local newspapers. Appoint a solicitor to handle the sale, even if you don't need him or her yet.

Also try to keep evidence of ways that you have severed links with your previous area - pulling the girls out of clubs like Guides/Brownies, etc, and how you have signed them up for similar activities in the new area.

In a genuine case the sheer weight of evidence is usually enough to convince the powers that be.

Don't forget to check out the alternative schools in case the 11+ goes horribly wrong.

Sally-Anne
zee

Post by zee »

It may be different in each region, but I'd certainly follow all of Sally-Anne's advice.

If it's of any reassurance, we were in a similar position 5 or 6 years ago. We sold our house, rented one near the school (and subsequently bought near by). When we submitted our application, the fact that our tenancy only started only a few months earlier was never questioned: we supplied a copy of the tenancy agreement and utility bills with our names on, but never anything more.

Good luck to you - and your girls.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I would agree with what Sally-Anne says.. From the opposite side what looks suspicious and may be investigated is:
- a move from a relatively expensive area or house to a cheap rented flat above the shops, especially if there is no evidence that the house has been sold.
- child still attending school in the old area if it is a fair distance away
- only part of the family supposedly living at the new address
- no real evidence of occupation of the new address - bills etc
- no-one ever there when someone calls and no timely reply to letters to the address
resmum

Moving into catchment

Post by resmum »

If you are genuinely moving into the catchment area then there should not be a problem.

If you were not trying to sell your current house but were merely taking on a 6 month tenancy for a small property then eyebrows might be raised and questions asked.

If you are moving into Newport make sure you are definitely in the catchment area by checking them map carefully as I believe the catchment goes in the direction of Telford and not towards Staffs.

Don't forget that
a) though the catchment applicants have priority your daughter still has to meet the required standard - there are 56 places in all and only those with a high enough passmark in the catchment will be allocated a place.

and

b) in the unlikely event that you can't manage to find a property to buy or rent, your daughter can still apply from wherever you live now for any "left-over" places. I don't know the figures but there are a number of girls who travel to Newport Girls High from Wolverhampton and other areas.
Tracey

Moving into cathment - Experiences

Post by Tracey »

Many thanks for your replies.

It has certainly helped hearing your views / experiences. Looking on this site I note that several other areas stipulate 'Tenancy agreements' as part of proof of residency. Telford and Wrekin actually state "short term tenancy agreements to gain in catchment status will not be accepted".

As we are moving to improve the chance of gaining a place and the means by which we will have moved is a rental (all be it a 12 month contract) we are still worried that no matter how good our intentions the 'Admissions' will apply the rule strictly.

Should we just go ahead and then tell them as a 'done deal' - we're in catchment! or should we raise the issue before to understand what proof they will accept. Unfortunatley the latter may lead them to suspect we don't intend it to be a permanent move! but with 3 daughters anything else wouldn't make sense!

A bit of a ramble I'm afraid - confused from Cheshire!! :?

Any views?

Thanks

Tracey
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Get advice every step of the way so that you know that you are/will be within their rules - if you end up breaking their rules, even unintentionally, then it will all be for nothing.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tracey

Don't panic! I have taken a glance at the T&W requirements, and this is the statement they make:
Please note: Temporary moves to live with relatives or friends, or short term tenancy agreements which are deemed to have been made to gain ‘in-area’ status for a particular school, will not be accepted.
What you must demonstrate - via all the suggestions that I, and others, have made, is that you have moved to the new area permanently.

The T&W statement is absolutely standard for many admissions authorities, and there is nothing unusual or different about it.

I recommend that you call the Admissions department, tell them that you are moving because you want to move to a different area/ have to move for job reasons/ need a bigger house, etc.

You can then ask them exactly what proof they will require that your move is genuine. Hopefully you will find that they are helpful.

S-A
Tracey

Moving into catchment - Experiences

Post by Tracey »

S-A and Eds Mum

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I've got the number and will get their advice.

Hopefully it will help remove the knot in my stomach!!

Strange how even when you're genuine you can still feel guilty!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now