question on the verbal reasoning paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chelmsford dad

question on the verbal reasoning paper

Post by chelmsford dad »

can i just check during the exam you are allowed to write on the exam paper i.e where the questions are (i appreciate you cant on the actual answer sheet)
the reason i ask this is my boy was doing a tutors one last night and on the front it said do any working out on a spare piece of paper.
i had been encouraging him to write some stuff down rather than trying to keep it all in his head especially on the trickier type of questions
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hi cd,

As it says on the tin, this is my first experience of the 11+ so take what I say with as much salt as you want. :wink:

The CSSE pack of papers included a VR practice test (not an actual past paper) which said rough working could be done on a separate sheet of paper. That said, some of the questions themselves are begging to be written on - why else provide the alphabet for the code questions? My take on it is that it's probably acceptable to write on the question paper and that a separate sheet of paper is provided as an option. I would think that the answer sheet should only contain answers.

The CSSE letter advised bringing a pencil, pen, eraser and ruler. No mention of paper so I expect that will be provided.

I'm sure someone who has been through the process and actually knows the answer will be along shortly. It's a really helpful site :) .
essex-mum18

Re: question on the verbal reasoning paper

Post by essex-mum18 »

chelmsford dad wrote:can i just check during the exam you are allowed to write on the exam paper i.e where the questions are (i appreciate you cant on the actual answer sheet)
the reason i ask this is my boy was doing a tutors one last night and on the front it said do any working out on a spare piece of paper.
i had been encouraging him to write some stuff down rather than trying to keep it all in his head especially on the trickier type of questions
My son did the exam 2 years ago. He did ask the teacher at KEGS whether he was allowed to do the rough work on the question paper. He was told that he should do it on the plain paper which would be provided during the exam.

It can be a bit tricky when you do the code questions. However, my son did practise on the plain paper during the prep at home because we were not sure what happened during the exam. I advised him to put the edge of the plain paper on top of the code questions to do the rough work but made sure to line up correctly in the first place. I hope it makes sense.

Hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK and hope everything goes well.
chelmsford dad

thanks for that

Post by chelmsford dad »

im sure he probably wouldnt get disqualified or anything the stress is doing funny things to me at the moment :cry:
essex-mum18

Re: thanks for that

Post by essex-mum18 »

chelmsford dad wrote:im sure he probably wouldnt get disqualified or anything the stress is doing funny things to me at the moment :cry:
Breathe slowly and RELAX!!!! :) :) Only 8 days to go!!!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I wonder if they re-use the question papers. I'm all for saving trees and all that but surely not?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

I wonder, too.

Just from past experience, do bring a soft jacket such as a fleece one, nothing too bulky in the exam hall/ room because my son did say it got cold during the exam.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks for the tip. DS is a funny wee soul - he strips off when doing practice papers :shock: . I go into the dining room to tell him his time is up, only to find his socks, shoes and jumper strewn all over the place. Hopefully his biggest challenge on the day will be to remain fully clothed :wink: . Wonder what he does at school...
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

First-timer wrote:Thanks for the tip. DS is a funny wee soul - he strips off when doing practice papers :shock: . I go into the dining room to tell him his time is up, only to find his socks, shoes and jumper strewn all over the place. Hopefully his biggest challenge on the day will be to remain fully clothed :wink: . Wonder what he does at school...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Hopefully his biggest challenge on the day will be to remain fully clothed :wink:

Thanks for the laugh, just what I need at this moment in time. I was going to ask the question above about the paper but it seems to have been answered for me. Thanks. And great tip about the fleece. I never thought of that. Im getting stressed now......... :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now