Questions predictor

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jake

Questions predictor

Post by Jake »

Has anyone ever looked through the last few years 11+ actual test papers & tried to predict what questions will come up for (this) year?

Having sat some exams myself recently albeit 12m ago and in a totally seperate subject, I was able to predict quite accurately which one were likely to arise - I passed possibly because I'd done this. Maybe a little far fetched but they're not going to ask the same questions year after year so it might work in this arena?

Personally if I can teach my daughters to pass the exam by learning techniques rather than revising possibly pointless questions, I'll do this - any comments?
ik

Post by ik »

It is possible to do techniques.

However problem solving is difficult. The child needs to work on speed. Also they need to get beyond the long winded questions. Some of these questions could be 3 or 4 lines.

The straightforwards ones like, multiplication and fractions are ok. I think problem solving is the key to passing the 11+ maths.

Post by Guest »

Interesting point. I also passed papers by looking at previous papers and taking a calculated risk when revising which luckily always paid off. However, unless you have past papers in your hand (and I don't think these are ever made public) you do not know what has come up and with the best will in the world I don't think you can expect the kids to remember everything about papers they have sat. So although the theory is nice I'm not sure it can be put into practice.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

In my area (Redbridge) past papers have never been available and the parents are told in no uncertain terms not to even bother asking for them! As if we would! :oops:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Likewise for Queen Elizabeth for Boys at Barnet. Having said that, one of the two stories in this year's exam narrated by my son afterwards sounded awfully familiar both to my husband and myself, which means that we had done it with my son a long time ago, before we seriously entered the track for secondary schools. My son did not remember it of course.

INEX

Bo Peep wrote:In my area (Redbridge) past papers have never been available and the parents are told in no uncertain terms not to even bother asking for them! As if we would! :oops:
Karen

Post by Karen »

Move to Essex! The CSSE has past papers. I've got past papers going back to 1992! Yes, I noticed a set pattern to the types of questions used over these papers. Can't say if it has done my son any good, but he practiced using all of them and so the familiarity may have helped enormously. Also, the english papers seemed to have only certain types of questions; mainly about the extract from a classic (usually 19th century) novel and then some about vocabulary (e.g. find a word in the text that means .......) and finally a question on punctuation (e.g. re-write the following sentences using the correct punctuation). If this year's paper was any different, it's the first one in ages. Verbal reasoning is anyone's guess but, then again, NFER (who write the tests) only have four standard practice papers that have been in circulation for as long as I can remember. Sit past papers and you have a much better chance than not sitting any. I am still astounded at the way some boroughs are leaving parents in the dark regarding past papers. Perhaps they use the same ones on a very frequent basis?! :?
Karen

Post by Karen »

Apologies! For 1992, please read 2002. I couldn't be that pushy!!

K :oops:
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

lol!

yes, I did notice this about Essex - in fact I was seriously impressed with the amount of help they give to the kids in terms of what to expect etc.

I do live in Essex, but clearly the wrong part! lol (Redbridge).

It would be easier for me to hack into the bank of England than to get a past 11plus paper....not that I've tried...erm...I mean, not that I've tried to do either of those things!!!

I think I should go to bed now! :?
tammy

Post by tammy »

hi, even though redbridge don't provide pass papers from feedback and the nfer practice papers the same kind of or should i say similiar kinds of questions ie compound words , number series, letter codes do come up .I to went through the pass papers from the csse, they did help with the maths and the format for the verbal and the english however the marking scheme for the puncuation section was less generous this year which WAS VERY DISHEARTING ! ROLL on march!!!!!!!!! :: :roll: