11+ .... Which exam papers to buy for Calderdale schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alisha99

11+ .... Which exam papers to buy for Calderdale schools

Post by Alisha99 »

Hi Everyone..... Im a new parent living in Halifax, just registered today and just about to set off my daughter on a mission to tackle the 11+ exam for DEC 2010.

Please could someone advise, which examination papers to start studying.. there are all sorts of papers written by all diffrent companys.
Which papers are for Halifax schools.... Thanks
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hello Alisha and welcome to the Forum.

Can't help you with the Calderdale papers (wrong part of Yorkshire for me), but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

Do join in with the day-to-day chat further up the boards (rehab, everything else etc), you can have fun too whilst getting all your questions answered.
Alisha99

Post by Alisha99 »

Thanks for the warm welcome, and i will try to get more involved as i learn to navigate around the forum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hello Alisha,

Welcome.

The Calderdale exams have in recent years been NFER verbal reasoning and a Maths paper. There is also a writing component which is completed by all applicants but it is only used to select the final 70 candidates. (In combination with the VR and Maths paper)

Maths Paper is written by school but should only cover national curriculum topics (Worth 71 Marks)
VR http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... php%23bs14 (Worth 140 Marks)

Both the Maths and VR are multiple choice.

The information in this thread is all applicable to the Halifax VR test
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782
Alisha99

Post by Alisha99 »

Thank you very much for that.. This is really helpful, im glad i signed up. I hope you dont mind me asking you for other information if i become stuck in the future>>>>> Thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

No problem. :D
Haze

Post by Haze »

Hello Alisha :D

Mitasol is the font of all knowledge Halifax, though myself and Optimistic drop in occasionally to call on Mitasol's expertise. We've both got DCs sitting the Calderdale 11+ in a couple of weeks and I have found this site invaluable.

So welcome aboard and I hope you find it as useful as I have done. :D
optimistic!

Re: 11+ .... Which exam papers to buy for Calderdale schools

Post by optimistic! »

Alisha99 wrote:Hi Everyone..... Im a new parent living in Halifax, just registered today and just about to set off my daughter on a mission to tackle the 11+ exam for DEC 2010.
Good luck. I see others have replied about the test format.

As for what papers to use, we have used the Bond/Nelson level 4 and level 5 papers and also the IPS papers with good results so far - obviously we don't know about her 11+ result as yet but she has gone from strength to strength in maths at school so it has helped her out.
Alisha99

Post by Alisha99 »

Thank you very much to both "Haze" and "Optimistic" for the warm welcome. At the moment i have started my DD on a set of Bonds Books which I have bought for her from WH Smiths.

She is taking the 11+ exam in Dec 2010, and for clarification purpose, could somone please explain the following when they have a few mins;

1) Am I correct in thinking the Verbal Reasoning Paper will be Multiple choice for CH School

2) How many questions will this paper consist off and how long will you have to complete this paper?

3) Will this paper be written by the school or an external body?

4) Which books my DD should study, which will resemble the closest to the real 11+ exam for CH school.

5) Which paper will be first, Verbal Reasoning or Maths?

6) How many different types of questions are there for CH school exam?, I remember someone mention 21, Is this in relation to VR paper only?

Im really sorry for all these questions, but it will clear alot of confusion in my mind!!!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

CH & NH sit the same exam. Those who rank in the top 310 will be offered a place at one of these schools (assuming you've not listed any higher preference schools). The places are offered in rank order so if you obtain a ranked score between 1-155 you will be certain of obtaining a place your first choice (so long as you've not listed any higher preference school)

Verbal Reasoning is multiple choice and has previously been NFER 21 types 80 questions 50 Mins.

Maths is also multiple choice and is written by the school. It should only contain KS2 maths covered in school (but that will depend on what your school has covered before December next year). I believe it is 40 questions in 30 mins.

I'm not sure that the exams are set in any particular order but when DS sat is was VR first, Maths second, and Essay third.

The link that I quoted earlier lists all the appropriate NFER style VR papers. Let me know if I've missed anything.