another couple of exam day questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chelmsford dad

another couple of exam day questions

Post by chelmsford dad »

firstly will their names come pre-printed on the papers or will they have to fill all the information in (worst nightmare not having a name on the paper :shock: )
secondly , can they place their watch on the desk or it best to keep it on their wrist (its a digital one but not calculator) - think it would be easier for him than looking up at a clock but didnt want some invigilator suspisciously hovering around his desk when working :x
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I can't imagine they'll be printed on there already but I'm sure there will be time before the exam for the candidates to fill in the first page and that invigilators will check this has been done.

I've never given DS a watch/clock during practice runs in order that he develops his own pace. I do tell him how many minutes he has left halfway through and again when there are five minutes to go. I don't want him thinking he has all the time in the world at the beginning of the test or indeed to be in a rush towards the end. At this stage in the game I would stick to whatever you have been doing in practice. If he wears a watch on his wrist then I'd advise to do the same in the exam.

You sound more stressed than me! Take comfort in the fact that the schools have been doing this for years and will make everything clear to the candidates before the exam.
chelmsford dad

my school has no 11+ involvement at all

Post by chelmsford dad »

i believe there are only 2 taking the test all of their own accord :?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Did you mean this to be a separate topic?
chelmsford dad

sorry i think ive misread you

Post by chelmsford dad »

when you said schools have been making sure the children are aware i was thinking you meant schools they go to rather than those hosting the exam :oops:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Ahh! Now I understand. No, I was talking about the test centre schools.

DS's school has done nothing to assist with prep for the 11+. This isn't a criticism - I wouldn't expect it to.
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

My DS had a small piece of paper stuck to his (clear) pencil case with his name, DOB & entry no. on it. This was a few years ago so dont know if they still need all the info. He has SLDs so was worried he would have trouble filling in the form.
Anyway he managed, got a place (just!) & is now at Cambridge :)

Please try not to worry too much about the logistics - the schools are very well organised & do try to make children feel at ease as much as possible.

I would say the main thing to tell the children is not to be scared to ask if they have any questions.

CRGS have 6th formers to help show the children where to go etc - dont know about other schools - but this might be less daunting than teachers if they have a question.
moved

Post by moved »

The children fill out the front sheet, exactly as you see on the CSSE papers. They are given everything they need to know. You can put the watch on the desk. Sending you very positive wishes.
I tell my pupils that they have worked hard, are well prepared and they will do well. :)
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

You can definitely put the watch on the desk! It was the one thing we forgot when my daughter took the exam two years ago. She ended up with her Dad's watch which was obviously too big for her to wear! :)
moved

Post by moved »

Nice to see you back silver.