Swine flu

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rosie42

Swine flu

Post by Rosie42 »

DS has come down with swine flu overnight - what rotten timing! He is supposed to be sitting the exam at WGSB on Saturday morning but I don't know if he will be well enough. I don't know whether to let him sit it and get a doctor's note (is there any point to this anyway?) or wait until the reserve date. After all that work........ :cry:
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

My lad got a bad cold / temp last week when he was supposed to be doing the pe test at queens. He clearly wasnt going to be fit enough so I went to the GP to get a note. I told them the symptoms and they referred me to the swine flu line. Once I had got a reference number from the swine flu line, I had to go back to the GP with the reference number so that they could write me a note (for £15) I took that to Queens and he is now doing the fitness test next Tuesday. Mercifully he is pretty much back to full health this week.

My advice - get the note and go for the reserve date - its frustrating to wait another week or so, but its worth it. Also no one will thank you for bringing a possibly sick child into a crowded exam hall....
Richard
Rosie42

Post by Rosie42 »

Good idea - thanks Richard. I think he picked it up last Tuesday at the music tests as no-one else in his school has it. He is on Tamiflu now but it is making him vomit spectacularly! I don't think any other child would want to see that!! :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tamiflu seems to be doing that .... and diarrhoea :oops:
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

I got tamiflu, but decided not to give it to my son. His symptoms were not that bad, and in any case all that tamiflu does is reduce the duration of the flu by about a day. In any case to be effective it needs to be administered within 24 hours of onset of symptoms. I have a friend who is a GP who reckons the Pharmaceutical companies are doing very ncely thank you very much by getting rid of a load of stock of tamiflu, that is not really much good... (sorry moderator I know this is a bit off topic...)
Richard
Rosie42

Post by Rosie42 »

To be honest if it wasn't for the test on Saturday I'd have let it run its course without resorting to Tamiflu! He has been quite ill though - more ill than I expected with joint pains, dizziness, very high fever and headache. He hasn't even picked up his brand new Percy Jackson book (the kid equivalent of the £50 note test!). Not really conducive to concentrating or practising test papers....
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

Are they not offering an alternative test date ? I thought Queens (SW Consortium) were - as long as you had a docs note.
Richard
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Ooo is there a new Percy Jackson out, Rosie? DS devours those in one sitting usually. Does your DS know they’re making a film of the Lightning Thief, out in February?

Apologies for the OT post.
Rosie42

Post by Rosie42 »

Hi Rob,

yes Percy Jackson 5 - the last Olympian (I think). I just read the Lightning Thief myself and for a child's book it was pretty good I must say. We are both looking forward to the movie.

Ds is still unwell and was sent home from school at lunchtime. This week he's got through a young bond, 2 Alex Ryders and has now started on PJ - maybe he's enjoying lying around reading instead of doing test papers! :lol:

So I think I may have to go down the road of paying £15 (cheek!) and getting a letter for Saturday. I rang WGSB today and they were lovely about it.