Out of area applicants

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
franticmum

Out of area applicants

Post by franticmum »

The practice day for out of area applicants on the Saturday before the test, how are these organised? Do the children get to take home their results on the day? What sort of place are the actual tests held in and how is the actual test day organised?
Thanks
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I can give you my son's experience from this year sitting as an OOC candidate...

The tests are held at the grammar schools in West Kent - my son sat his at TOGs. The practice session was from around 8:15am until 12:15am - no written work was done but the other tests were in similar format to that used for the real thing. The children were taken in to the hall and then divided into their class groups - children from the same school sat the tests in the same classroom.

My understanding is the practice tests are not marked unless taken to appeal. We got no results from the tests and were not allowed to take the papers home. This year (and in previous years too I think) they sat NFER set A papers.

It was relatively painless - just a long morning, although the actual day of the tests was even longer with an additional written piece of work.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I and my DC found the practise test invaluable. Having done the parctise DC was very relaxed on the actual test day. It gave me a chance to time the journey too. I would urge every one to go for the practise test. It makes the actual test less daunting for the child and the parents. The test paper was the Nfer one which you can buy from any book shop.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

bromley mum wrote:I and my DC found the practise test invaluable. Having done the parctise DC was very relaxed on the actual test day. It gave me a chance to time the journey too. I would urge every one to go for the practise test. It makes the actual test less daunting for the child and the parents. The test paper was the Nfer one which you can buy from any book shop.
I'm with you on this one, my DD was extremely nervous before the practise test, not about the test itself but about the logistics and not knowing what to expect. The practise put her very much at ease, particularly knowing where and with whom she would be sitting.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Just remembered something else which helped DC. As we had a long way to travel I took breakfast in the car for DC plus a treat for later. DC really enjoyed that and looked forward to the actual test day so that more treats could be had!!!
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Thank you all for those comments.

Bromley Mum, how exactly did you organise breakfast in the car, I'm intrigued! Obviously not cereal in a bowl!!

I intend to take mine out for the afternoon on the practice day, to lighten the mood and possibly the following of the test.

Can any of you or anyone else, tell me how the actual test day was organised for OOA. What time did it start and finish? Were the kids really tired afterwards?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Roughly the same as the test day - in and registered by 8:15am, and then pick up at 1:30pm, although they did run a bit late at TOGs.

Yes, all the children were absolutely exhausted by the end of it. I have never seen my DS as tired - as you would expect I suppose with such a barrage of testing and concentration required, especially when only just 10 years old!

But I would say, most of the children were cheerful and came out smiling, probably from the relief that it was all over.

We didn't go out that afternoon but did take DS out for a nice meal on the Sunday.

Regarding food on the day - we did a normal breakfast at home (cereal) but also made sure that DS had snacks to keep him going, including mints to suck on in the tests. TBH he didn't eat much of what we sent him off with, but at least it was there if he needed it.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

[quote="franticmum"]Thank you all for those comments.

Bromley Mum, how exactly did you organise breakfast in the car, I'm intrigued! Obviously not cereal in a bowl!!

quote]

Banana sandwich (a favourite of DC) made with wholemeal bread, milk shake (shop bought, so in a bottle), water (again in a bottle), pain au chocolat and muffins for afters. Not very healthy I know but it did the trick and resulted in a happy child!