Storing up problems for the futute

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I do stress that what I am about to say does not, I think, apply at all at A-level.
I do think , however, that at GCSE any able child, whatever their background or school, should (if they are to have any realistic chance of hacking it at a decent university) to be able to ensure that they get good results. Miss Magwich agreeswith me that although it is quite obviously much much better to have good teaching it is entirely possible to purchase a revision handbook in the relevant subject and to ensure that you get at least an "A" grade.
This would not be possible if your school was so dire that your essay writing and general literacy and numeracy skills were rubbish BUT if that were the case you would not exactly flourish at Durham whatever allowance was made for you!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I hope Durham looks at the examining bodies that the pupils are taking their exams with because even amongst the GCSE it is known that some exam bodies have more rigorous exams - I'm not including IGCSE within this statement.

I also think looking at GCSE's is pretty pointless as the jump between GCSE and A'level is huge and I know of many kids who said they were not good preparation for A'level. So two children who got 10 A* may then get widely differing A'level results. I suspect that a good school may have already gone beyond the GCSE syllabus by the time they sit the exam whereas another school may not.

I wonder if applications to universities should be made once A'level exams are attained. Not sure how this would work in practice though. :?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Yes - Miss Magwich is very envious of those taking their exams with E***c*l!!!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

magwich2 wrote:I do stress that what I am about to say does not, I think, apply at all at A-level.
I do think , however, that at GCSE any able child, whatever their background or school, should (if they are to have any realistic chance of hacking it at a decent university) to be able to ensure that they get good results.
This is absolutely right. My own DS1 who was less fortunate in the schools available to him than his sibling KESboy, managed to get 8A* and 2A at the local comp where only 38% of the kids got 5 or more A*-C. He used to come home every day and tell me hilarious tales of disrupted lessons, and rucksacks and/or pupils being hurled into the school pond, etc. I am not a negligent parent, but we had no money then for a private school and didn't have the nerve to ask for a bursary at the nearest public school, and there were no grammar schools anywhere near. Fortunately that school only went up to 16, so life was a bit more civilised for him after that. He would have been horrified though at the thought of not getting into his chosen university on his own merits.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Loopyloulou wrote:Agreed.

Even the best comp locally has a Durham weighting. I'm sure that had my children gone there they would have had excellent academic results, equally as good as they will get elsewhere ('though maybe in different subjects :D ). So the practical effect of the Durham system is to penalise them for going elsewhere.

The Durham system will not be fair to bright children until there are harder GCSEs...but I don't think the Durham system is meant to be fair anyway.
Well, there are better universities than Durham, so why bother with them? They must be completely up themselves if they think they can arbitrarily discriminate for or against applicants depending on their perceived background rather than their proven achievements.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The reason Durham is so popular is because of it's Collegiate system. I believe only Oxbridge run such a system so it sets them apart. Durham thinks it can do what it likes because most bright kids that felt they may not get into Oxbridge would automatically apply for Durham - but not anymore! :roll:
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

KES Parent wrote:They must be completely up themselves if they think they can arbitrarily discriminate for or against applicants depending on their perceived background rather than their proven achievements.
I still reckon this is to fulfil some Gov't target on diversity of intake and this method, or something like it, will soon appear across the university sector (if it hasn't already).
Their stated aim is to hugely increase the numbers going to uni and if they are to be able to show diversity across the board then these methods will become common practice.
Their aim is admirable but they lack the ability to see it through, as demonstrated by their handing over uni's to the DTI(as was) and the lack of provision of places inspite of increasing numbers of candidates wishing to attend, is appalling.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
KB

Post by KB »

In some cases there are 'bright kids' who don't chose Durham because they have a reputation for having alot of upper/middle class students who didn't make Oxbridge. However good the academic standard the perception of the 'ethos' isn't necessarily favourable.
Maybe the university is trying to demonstrate a change in its attitude to attract potential applicants?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy